Author Topic: Remapping and Impact on Insurance - What do you pay?  (Read 11037 times)

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Re: Remapping and Impact on Insurance - What do you pay?
« Reply #40 on: 26 November 2011, 11:28 »
I paid £319.38 last December with Esure and thats with full NCD and its protected and one named driver but I'm 55 with a clean license at the moment, mines not chipped yet.

I've just renewed my insurance for the following year and its now £320.24 so its gone up by less than £1.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #41 on: 27 November 2011, 00:00 »
I paid £319.38 last December with Esure and thats with full NCD and its protected and one named driver but I'm 55 with a clean license at the moment, mines not chipped yet.

I've just renewed my insurance for the following year and its now £320.24 so its gone up by less than £1.

That's good news

Did you ask them if remapping was allowed/affected the policy?

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #42 on: 27 November 2011, 00:02 »

Your about 70 yrs of age though Keith  :laugh:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #43 on: 27 November 2011, 06:47 »
Is Keith's car remapped?

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 27 November 2011, 14:28 »
No I didn't ask how much more if its remapped I will enquire about that when I have it done.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Jimmymature

« Reply #45 on: 27 November 2011, 15:53 »
No I didn't ask how much more if its remapped I will enquire about that when I have it done.

I'm getting Revo'd in two weeks in their Christmas sale so I'll let you know how much I get quoted when I ring up to let them know.

Jim

Jimmymature

« Reply #46 on: 15 December 2011, 20:03 »
Holy sh1t!

Just got quote for my car mapped and the price is a whopping £720 for the year!!!!

A girl from eSure just said when i asked her why everyone is quoting me so much she said "not being funny but it's a boy racers car, all the kids want to steal it"  :laugh:

Oh well, what can you do.....

Jim

Offline danski

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #47 on: 16 December 2011, 12:54 »
Doc remapped my GTD just a couple of weeks ago and the insurance charged me an extra £90.
The insurance renews in August next year.
Golf GTD, 2010, 3 Door, Deep Black Pearl, Leather, RCD510, Reversing Camera, 18" Vancouvers, Storage Pack, R LED Rears, More GTECHNIQ protection than I can shake a stick at....

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #48 on: 18 December 2011, 11:48 »
I really don't know too much about remapping apart from adding more speed.
Long term dose it wear the engine more ? Would someone be so kind to post the pluses and the minuses.
Also dose it affect the warranty and is their a remap VW recommend.

Thanks for any info.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 18 December 2011, 12:48 »
I really don't know too much about remapping apart from adding more speed.
Long term dose it wear the engine more ? Would someone be so kind to post the pluses and the minuses.
Also dose it affect the warranty and is their a remap VW recommend.

Thanks for any info.
There is loads of information about remapping, both pro and con on the internet. Most remappers will have a reasonable amount of information on remapping on their websites too. This will give you an insight into what it involves.
I'll quickly run through some of the major changes on a turbo car: Increased turbo boost, increased fuelling inder load and optimised fuel and ignition timing (well, no ignition timing on a Diesel but more emphasis on the fuelling there).
Does it wear the engine more? Yes, if you drive it hard a lot.
Does it affect the warranty? Naturally; you're putting third party software into your ECU. Is there one VW recommend? No. VW Racing have semi official support with a third party stand alone warranty. In Germany Oettinger used to have a semi-official status, I'm not sure if that still stands and won't be recognised by VW UK  anyway. So no. But many dealers won't dig too far unless they think they have reason to.

The most noticeable and most useful benefit of remapping is the increased mid range performance, it really brings the car alive and sharpens up the throttle response. Fifth and Sixth gear acceleration is much improved and you will often find fuel economy slightly improves if you don't drive like you've got a company car BMW all the time (ie. a tw@t)

I've had at least eight or nine remaps on my previous cars and not had any problems so far. Mind you I don't tend to keep my cars that long or drive that hard. It's all about the vastly improved mid range response for me.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner