Author Topic: Cracked Windscreen  (Read 2839 times)

Offline CS#303

• Not said much yet
Cracked Windscreen
« on: 10 December 2018, 11:34 »
Hi All,

A stone hit my Clubsport windscreen yesterday leaving a big starred chip, 30 seconds later 2 long cracks across the screen.... :cry:

So just after some advice\tips please....

I've had bad experiences with both the big windscreen companies in the past so am thinking of getting a genuine VW windscreen fitted.

Any tips\advice?

Thanks!!

:wink:

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
Re: Cracked Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2018, 12:01 »
Harsh mate, feel your pain as had to replace mine earlier on in the year. I used autoglas and had no problems. The replacement screen doesn't have the VW logo (cant remember the brand) but when the genuine VW screens are paper thin and so weak why are you keen to replace with another equally thin and weak screen?

I understand it's good to have genuine parts but I personally wouldn't stress to much about a VW logo screen as your be back on here in 6 months time when the next grain of sand hits and breaks your replacement screen.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2018, 12:45 »
Autoglass are ordering me a genuine one but had Pilkington before, personal choice depending on car it's going on

Offline CS#303

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2018, 13:05 »
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I'm worried that a none-genuine one will not be right tint or have the right masks.

Also I had one fitted to my Corrado years ago that didn't fit right, it wasn't seated properly so whistled and the trim wasn't right. I know it was years ago and its mostly down to the fitter.

As I've not had one for so long just worried about the whole thing!

@Crezzer, wouldn't they have to be the same thickness to fit right? I hadn't heard VW ones are weak.

@Golf_GT_TDI, I didn't know they could do that. does it affect the insurance claim at all?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2018, 13:31 »
VW ones are just Pilkington or St Gobain with a VW logo on! You don't get a different thickness because it's got a logo on and by the same measure it's the specification of the glass that means it's thinner not because it's a VW logo'd one.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Shandy77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2018, 15:37 »
Autoglass replaced my screen a few months back (mk7 GTI PP), after a small M25 boulder caused similar damage. I have to say that although it's "just" a Pilkington screen without the VW logos - it fitted just fine and the rain sensors work exactly the same as before.

Having the same job done by National Windscreens in our other car was a nightmare though, they tried 3 times to get a replacement screen to fit our C Class before I demanded a genuine replacement was fitted - guess it's just luck as to how the glass come out the factory.   

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2018, 16:12 »
If you don't use your insurers approved repairer then make sure there are no monetary limits - some companies will only reimburse you up to say £100-£200 if you use a non approved repairer - beware ! Policy booklet should say.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2018, 20:30 »
Autoglass replaced my screen a few months back (mk7 GTI PP), after a small M25 boulder caused similar damage. I have to say that although it's "just" a Pilkington screen without the VW logos - it fitted just fine and the rain sensors work exactly the same as before.

Having the same job done by National Windscreens in our other car was a nightmare though, they tried 3 times to get a replacement screen to fit our C Class before I demanded a genuine replacement was fitted - guess it's just luck as to how the glass come out the factory.
Your just a Pilkington screen is exactly the same as a vw one which is why the screen fitted correctly and the sensors worked!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2018, 21:17 »
The Pilkington screen as others confirm is identical, I have one outside with Pilkington and other with original screen with VW logo, the logo is the only difference, tint, clarity etc are the same.

If you really do want a VW logo screen then Autoglass for instance just note your request and send it for approval from your insurer, normally no issues I was told, same excess cost only thing is you have to wait a few days for it to be approved and be delivered to your local Autoglass outfit
« Last Edit: 10 December 2018, 21:21 by Golf_GT_TDI »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2018, 09:06 »
Autoglass did one for me on my last Mk7.

Exactly the same as the VW OEM one minus the VW logo. Same manufacture, same fit and tint, no sensor issues.... all good.

Don't worry!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC