Author Topic: 3 Popular Exhaust Upgrades - Which is best  (Read 20621 times)

Offline MT3

• Not said much yet
3 Popular Exhaust Upgrades - Which is best
« on: 09 December 2018, 20:18 »
Hello MK7 GTI Owners

From reading around, I have seen 3 popular / cost effective upgrades to the stock MK7 GTI system (rather than going for a full new system).

1) Remus Rear Box Delete with new tips
2) VagSport resonator delete
3) Clubsport S muffler /silencer

I am personally looking for

A) Louder DSG Farts
B) More burble
C) Improved tone/enhanced sound
D ) Overall more agressive/sporty
E) Little to no drone

Like most I think... not looking for boy racer'esc noise, but something which ticks the above and puts a big smile on your face!

Ive tried searching (for hours) and seen different reviews here and there, but thought it be nice to hear from UK based owners amd compile a good comparison for all to review.

Anyone with real life experience of any of the above please comment on how it stacks up against the above and youre general thoughrs opinions etc all very much welcomed!

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks
MT3

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: 3 Popular Exhaust Upgrades - Which is best
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2018, 09:31 »
I've had a look into replacing the exhaust myself but I'm still happy with the standard system. It makes a lot more noise than what most owners think.

However, for the price, I'd go for the Clubsport S rear muffler mod which seems very popular. Failing that I'd go all out and go for the full Akrapovic system but at £3,500, it's not cheap. £4,500 if you want the rear diffuser.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2018, 11:36 »
I've been tempted for the res delete from Progressive Parts. But the exhaust noise on mine is definitely more than my previous 230 GTI despite the lack of upshift farts. Does a little pop flurry when fired up from cold  :cool:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2018, 16:14 »
Presume you’re after this sound?!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqg7EhCjW-F/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1dfx0qb7kghcn

Would be nice if it was switchable!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MT3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2018, 19:58 »
Yeah that sounds pretty much what Im after! Like that

Offline MT3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2018, 20:00 »
I've had a look into replacing the exhaust myself but I'm still happy with the standard system. It makes a lot more noise than what most owners think.

However, for the price, I'd go for the Clubsport S rear muffler mod which seems very popular. Failing that I'd go all out and go for the full Akrapovic system but at £3,500, it's not cheap. £4,500 if you want the rear diffuser.

Thanks for your reply @Ryan90GTI

What would make you go for the Clubsport S muffler over the others, just general popularity? Cheers

Offline MT3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2018, 20:03 »
I've been tempted for the res delete from Progressive Parts. But the exhaust noise on mine is definitely more than my previous 230 GTI despite the lack of upshift farts. Does a little pop flurry when fired up from cold  :cool:

Thanks for reply Jim.. interesting

Whats different about yours from your previous (sorry may have missed something obvious!)

And yes that instagram vid is pretty much spot on!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2018, 09:46 »

Whats different about yours from your previous (sorry may have missed something obvious!)

I had a std Mk7.5 GTI last year (with DSG upshift farts) and would say the Performance model I have now makes a louder noise but with no upshift noise but the odd burble.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline MT3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2018, 21:50 »

I had a std Mk7.5 GTI last year (with DSG upshift farts) and would say the Performance model I have now makes a louder noise but with no upshift noise but the odd burble.

Makes sense!

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2018, 22:16 »
Hi MT3, welcome!

I thought I'd add my view to your conundrum...

I had a GTI MK7.5 (non-performance) and I was looking for a bit more from the exhaust. I did quite a bit of research and ordered the Clubsport S backbox as it sounded great on videos (never had the chance to hear one in the flesh). Clearly I didn't do quite enough research as there were some very slight changes to the rear diffuser on the 7.5 facelift meaning that it wouldn't fit!

Not to be defeated, I then looked for alternatives and found the remus backbox delete. Again, I thought it sounded great on videos... Motech have quite a few on YouTube. This option had various clamps which could be adjusted to fit the mk7 or the 7.5 so I went ahead and ordered one at Awesome GTI near Manchester.

In the meantime, I saw a good deal on a Clubsport so I traded in my GTI MK7.5. I fitted the Remus backbox to my Clubsport about 6 months ago - see pic.

For me, it all depends on the type of driving you do. My commute is mostly country roads so I enjoy the burbles and pops from my exhaust. Particularly the fireworks in DSG Sport or manual. Driving with constant revs over 3,000 on the motorway though is quite tiring as there is noticeable drone. I did a long journey a few weekends ago and was tempted to go back to my original exhaust!

If I had a MK7, I think I would go for the Clubsport S backbox as it gives slightly larger tailpipes than the MK7 (same size as Clubsport and 7.5 and slightly smaller than the remus), with a better note and (I assume) limited drone given it is OEM. It was about £300 from a main dealer excluding fitting as far as I remember.

Whilst I don't have any experience of it, there are a few guys on here with the VagSport/ Progressive Parts res delete and are very happy. They have also commented that there is no drone so it might be an option if you do lots of motorway driving. It's also much cheaper I think (<£200).

Finally, if you do actually have a MK7.5, I saw this advertised today which seems like a good price (Awesome GTI ebay shop). Clearly I can't comment on how that might sound though - I'm guessing loud!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milltek-Cat-Back-Non-Res-System-VW-Golf-Mk7-5-GTi-incl-GTi-Performance-Pack-/264043426589?fbclid=IwAR3LePn85zhjGsPrWzvauovnlrLJLPylhRSqWRod8N5jWkRcS2XBC36jfDA

Have fun with the youtube searching and let us know which route you go down.

Andy
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190