Author Topic: Rear Brakes help query  (Read 1909 times)

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
Rear Brakes help query
« on: 03 December 2018, 09:55 »

Hi can you tell me if these look ok for rear brakes?

As a newbie to VW I may ask some obvious questions but in time hopefully I can give back useful info - ask me anything about a Ford Focus and I can tell you as I had 5 of them !

I have had the GTI PP 2 months now doing about 60-70 miles a day and whilst the fronts are pure silver the rears look like this almost as If the calipers aren't working properly?

I am a light braker but after 2000 miles I thought these would have worn evenly.

Originally I thought it had been sitting at the dealer for a bit hence the rust. Listers VW had just serviced it but they don't look right to me.

Any pointers appreciated as to if this is normal.

Car is 2016 GTI PP 29000 miles now.

Ash

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Rear Brakes help query
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2018, 10:22 »
They look exactly right - for a GTI ie wrong. Someone on here recently said it's because VW don't grease the part that the pads touch so they can stick on slightly causing premature wear. I don't know if that's true but it certainly makes sense to me. I've noticed a slight rubbing noise from my rns disc which coincidentally is wearing unevenly. I'm thinking about taking mine to a good indepedent and having the rear brakes serviced by people who actually know what they are doing :rolleyes: Mine is at similar miles to yours albeit a year older.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2018, 10:38 »
Ah great that's useful thank you - ill take mine in the near future to what seems to be a helpful local dealer and get them done with the MOT as its due early March.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2018, 11:33 »
Mine were (are) exactly the same and I took the car into the dealers as the rears were squealing when reversing. They said there was nothing wrong with them, but whatever the had done stopped the squealing!
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2018, 12:02 »
I've got a December 16 GTi pp and my rears are the same as the fronts. Never had any issues with the rears.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2018, 12:20 »
I have the same on my since I owned it (2 years, non PP).  As others have said it seems the GTI has this issue with its rear brakes. I have actually been sad enough to sit looking on Autotrader at Mk7 GTI's for sale, those ad's with photos of the rear wheels most of them have have the same issue.

I am actually changing my rear discs & pads over Christmas break myself, at 50k miles the rear discs are looking a bit sorry for themselves and the pads are getting low.  I'll see what difference this makes going forward, I've gone for Pagid discs and Brembo pads.
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2018, 13:15 »
If you are a light braker, maybe try a few hard stops from a relatively high speed to clean the discs up a little?

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2018, 13:20 »
Hard braking sounds like a plan - ill head out to the bypass :-)

And looking at GTI for sale and the discs - great Idea why didn't I think of that !

Thanks again

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2018, 14:25 »
This is fairly common on GTIs I think. My rear discs and pads got changed after not much more than 30,000mi.

The car was occasionally getting put away with damp discs after washing and clearly wasn't getting used hard enough often enough to fully clear off rust that you can get when it sits damp. My rust got to the point where it was wearing the pads excessively. The standard factory ones seems particularly bad for this, so I swapped for a different (mainstream) make when getting them changed.

I now drive the car round the block to dry the brakes after washing I, plus a change of home means that the daily commute is a lot more fun (and warms the brakes up a bit more) too. I've not had any issues since and the new discs always look good.

In short, as suggested above, get some spirited drives in to try to clear off the current marks and if they do, then keep on top of it to save changing your pads and discs ridiculously early!

In 6 months you'll be back wondering about the corrosion on your hubs too!  :cry: