Author Topic: Recent dealer visit  (Read 2561 times)

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
Recent dealer visit
« on: 18 September 2018, 10:54 »
Had my GTD in at the dealers last week, had a couple of little niggles which I’d been meaning to get sorted but then a 3rd one appeared which made me get the car looked at.

1st one was the headlight washer jets were staying stuck out & not sliding back into the bumper after use, had to gently push them back in by hand. The fix to this was a bumper off job & replace the washer jets on both sides, apparently there’s a bulletin on these & a known fault.

2nd one was a key fob that I had replaced, original had the GTD logo on the fob but the replacement was a standard fob a little bit smaller than the original GTD logo one. When I queried why the key was different I was told only GTD fobs were issued with a new car & any replacements wouldn’t be the same as the originals. I find that a bit hard to believe, I DM’d VW HELP on Twitter & they weren’t interested & pushed me back to the dealer if I wanted to take it further, I only wanted them to tell me if a replacement GTD key fob could have been supplied as a replacement. I haven’t bothered to try again since. Just unsure of how any future buyer would feel about 2 different fobs.

3rd this was what sounded like a wheel bearing had gone but turns out it’s not that, it’s the rear tyres wearing on the inside which is causing excessive road noise, it’s very loud. Been told the fix is 2 new rear tyres & a 4 wheel alignment done to rectify the cause. Bit annoyed as my rear tyres are the originals & have 5mm left.
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Recent dealer visit
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2018, 13:45 »
AFAIK the chrome logo part of the key is an accessory that is just fitted into a normal key. Be it an R, GTI OR GTD. My car is 5 years old,never had wheel alignment done since the factory and I get 40,000km from a full set of tyres which I rotate.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2018, 15:06 »
If the garage have replaced your genuine key then they should replace it like for like. Maybe ask them to remove the gtd bit from the bottom of your old key. They sound a bit slap dash if you ask me  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2018, 19:23 »
The key fob issue sounds like nonsense to me. You've paid for a GTD, so should get the same GTD fob as a replacement. If the wheels had whiteworm, would they expect you to accept SE wheels as replacements?  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2018, 07:40 »
3rd this was what sounded like a wheel bearing had gone but turns out it’s not that, it’s the rear tyres wearing on the inside which is causing excessive road noise, it’s very loud. Been told the fix is 2 new rear tyres & a 4 wheel alignment done to rectify the cause. Bit annoyed as my rear tyres are the originals & have 5mm left.

How many miles have you done?

My last GTD did exactly the same - think it was at about 60k

Don't bother with wheel alignment, just stick two new tyres on the rear. Its not an alignment fault, its just the way the rear end works on a Golf.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2018, 11:10 »
Get the alignment done. The car will feel like it should again. I was amazed how my Mk6 was transformed after suffering the same.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2018, 19:36 »

Make sure you get the check done using the Hunter alignment equipment or similar to get a good realignment. This problem with rear wheels is a VW issue on some vehicles across a number of models. Had it on my Scirocco.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.