Author Topic: Brake fluid  (Read 3157 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Brake fluid
« on: 07 September 2018, 12:42 »
Hello,

The brake fluid on my MK7 Gti PP looks to be towards the lower end of the scale - where's the best place to purchase some more to top it up with?

Thanks in advance,

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Brake fluid
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2018, 14:51 »
I doubt it'll be specific to VW so check the manual and buy where ever is convenient. I assume it hasn't dropped suddenly?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2018, 18:56 »
@MrJollygood, based on the details in your signature, your car is a 2013 model, so it’s around 5 years old. VW brake fluid change intervals are;

- first change; at 3 years old
- after that, every 2 years

So your car’s due a brake fluid change. Rather than top it up, I’d be inclined to get the brake fluid change done as it’s due, then monitor the fluid level and if it drops again, get it investigated.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2018, 07:13 »
Check your rear brake pads and discs, too. If mine are typical, which evidence on here suggests they are, you will find them very worn and the reason for the fluid level drop.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2018, 08:45 »
... and if you top it up and then go to change the pads, you'll then need to siphon some off from the master cylinder.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2021, 08:15 »
Reviving an old one here.

My brake fluid reservoir went from about half full to zero in the reservoir at all, now has a little bit in it. Going to get some DOT4 from VW to top it up and monitor it for leakage.

Any special way to top it up in the mk7 with the electric handbrakes? Assuming flat ground, handbrake off and in DSG in neutral?

Edit - My rear brake discs never fully 'clean' themselves even on spirited drives with heavy braking periods, so never look shiny like they should, feeling like this could be linked.

« Last Edit: 31 July 2021, 08:18 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Online madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2021, 10:12 »
Willni, providing the fluid hasn't fully disappeared fully out of the master cylinder reservoir just top up as normal.  :smiley:
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2021, 14:06 »
Before you top up check your Pads for wear because as they go down the fluid will also fall. Never needed to top mine up with fluid at all.

As for the rear discs I presume you have a PP with the bigger Front Discs so the rears are hardly used and the faces never get use to clean them properly. The inside of the disc on mine was much worse than the outside but VW say it is normal.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2021, 16:22 »
Nevermind folks I was being silly, put a torch to the reservoir and it was at level. I've never seen a tank hide the actual level of the fluid before!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2021, 17:18 »
Opening the cap and looking into the bottle helps too  :grin:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox