Author Topic: First Golf for 25 years!....love it!  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Fubareti

• Just got here
First Golf for 25 years!....love it!
« on: 03 October 2017, 08:44 »
Hi All,

Just treated myself to a 2003 Mk4 GT TDI 150 (PD) with 76k on the clock and in near mint condition.
Absolutely love driving it. Feels so solid and it's good n powerful!

I've joined the forum to gain as much knowledge as I can about the common ailments that affect the 150 PD, in particular the so called 'Chocolate CAM', which I hear is a major one to look out for.

I have noticed that there is a rattle at tick-over (950rpm), which sounds to me like a heat shield because as soon as you pick the revs up by 50rpm the noise stops. Advice on this would be good because I don't want to fall foul of the dreaded CAM issue.

Thanks in advance to all you fine folks willing to muck in a spread your good advice to the likes of me!

Cheers

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: First Golf for 25 years!....love it!
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2017, 08:50 »
At 76k there's probably a fair bit of life in the cam yet.  So called chocolate cam is usually caused by poor maintenance in my experience - on the PD130, 150 and 160.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Fubareti

• Just got here
Re: First Golf for 25 years!....love it!
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2017, 07:51 »
Thanks brettblade, let's hope so.

Someone mentioned "proper 150 oil" on one of the forum pages. I gather there is a specific grade/brand that I should be using.
I have noticed a litre bottle of 10w40 Halfords semi-synthetic in the boot...this seems quite generic, so I'm concerned that it's got some cheap rubbish in it at the moment.

Could anyone advise what oil is best to help prevent future problems? Also, is there any flushing/cleaning that should be done to help reduce the CAM risk?

Cheers