Author Topic: speaker grill upgrades MK2  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Rodreguez

• Not said much yet
speaker grill upgrades MK2
« on: 30 September 2003, 15:40 »
Just bought a Hreg FSH 8v(i think, how can i tell?)GTI today!

I've noticed the other post's about replacing the pull out door pocket's in the front cards and putting in the speaker grills which can take speakers up to 5.25inch.

I've got a decent setup to go in. Question is will they take me cerwin vega 5.25 components? they are pretty heavy and i'm not sure if they will be sturdy enough or are they up to the job?  

Also any tips on soundeadening the car would be great not attempted this feat yet!

Thanks again

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:speaker grill upgrades MK2
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2003, 19:20 »
how can u tell? look under the bonnet! :p

dunno about how heavy they'll take. Those audioscape ones I've been going on about are ?170  :'( bit pricey for what they are.

Sound proofing is sold in sheets. Just cover the panels you want to do. I think it's about ?30 for enough to do 2 doors. VWs 'skin' is pretty thick anyway. I'm planning on doing mine sometime soon. The stuff is called Dynamat and halfords sell it. You'll want a can of glue spray (?5) to attach it all :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Rodreguez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2003, 20:00 »
Nah the dynamat stuff is a bit too expensive for me gonna go to B+Q instead they have something called mylar or mylock roofing material.  Its basically the same as dynamat, a bit thinner, has a sticky back coating and only ?10 per 10m2 roll. I'm sure I read 2 rolls will do the trick on the hole car!

Just wondering on the 8v or 16v difference thingy are there any blatant visual differences on the bodywork of the car.  The GTI badge on mine has a red letter I or is this normal.  Twin tail pipe on exhaust looks similar to DTM but is standard(so im told, looks it as well tho'). Cant look under the bonnet getting it on thursday but need to order a few bits for upgrading the brakes etc.

Thanks again  

Offline Helios_Blue_Valver

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2003, 13:05 »
Most 16v models (unless it has been debadged) have "16v" emblems under the GTI emblems on the grill and on the rear of the car. It should also have a 16v emblem on the dash over the glovebox. Under the hood the top of the intake manifold should say "DOHC 16V" in letters about 2 inches tall. Another way to tell is to mash the throttle hard while driving. If it feels like it has a bunch of torque off the start then tapers off at high revs then it is most likely an 8valve. if it feels rather bland on the lowend and strts coming to life about 3300rpm on up then it is more than likely a 16valve. Good luck on the new car and welcome to the world of Golfs

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2003, 13:37 »

Just bought a Hreg FSH 8v(i think, how can i tell?)GTI today!

wouldn't the log book or the service manual say it?,( my cabs does, I'm sure )
« Last Edit: 01 October 2003, 13:42 by AdamB »
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline Rodreguez

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2003, 22:12 »
Just got the car today defo an 8valve im well suprised at the condition.  Then inside is still in mint condition and it ha 130,000 miles!!!! No rust either!!?!!

cheers for help guys