Author Topic: How to - HDR  (Read 12392 times)

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: How to - HDR
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2012, 11:31 »
out of interest and as an example I threw together 2 HDR images this morning, one 5 bracketed (on the left) the other the Middle exposure of the 5 (on the right).

HDR 5 vs 1 by The Ridg, on Flickr

Here's a 100% crop to show the difference in noise between the two images

NB the origonal images were shot at ISO1600

100% Crop by The Ridg, on Flickr

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2012, 12:11 »
HDR is always one of those things that i still now have trouble getting my head around, more so in the sense of 'how' to get the final image looking enhanced but not over the top

There are so many different ways to get a HDR image to look how you want

the method i use is with layers I fin its easier to control the final result. Instead off mashing the 3 exposures together i use 3 different layers mask out the parts i dont want to show and then tweak levels / curves / shadow / highlights etc (only slightly so it retains the realistic look)

then merge the layers and tweak abit more, maybe play a bit with the doge and burn where its needed and then the sharpness etc

Ive seen some epic images people have down using photomatix and othe software

just my 2p on the subject  :smiley:

Offline J_V_Dub

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2012, 19:11 »
Here's my attempt at HDR, the photos have been only done using photomatix, don't have PS yet.

All comments welcome :

« Last Edit: 02 September 2012, 19:33 by J_V_Dub »

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2012, 09:00 »
Here's my attempt at HDR, the photos have been only done using photomatix, don't have PS yet.

All comments welcome :

This is the best of the lot, still slightly over saturated but not bad.  The rest are very over saturated, you've got strange greens in the rock pools, cyan skies and very high blacks levels.  As I guide I'd say start with one of the more natural templates and adjust the sliders from there, the images that looks unnatural look like you've started from the grunge settings which gives a very surreal look, which can work but IMO does here.