Author Topic: Golf GTI MK7 - Wash & Painting Bits - PIC HEAVY  (Read 8038 times)

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
Golf GTI MK7 - Wash & Painting Bits - PIC HEAVY
« on: 25 August 2014, 00:24 »
Hello guys,

Managed to get a good clean in today and thought i'd share some of my results :)

So, firstly. The wheels. They looked like this after just 10 months, rust setting in quite badly. Seems the rear hubs aren't painted when they leave the factory.

So the car got jacked up and off came the wheels and out came the hammerite;

Looking much better. Then a few days later the car got a clean. First the car was pressure washed down then some decontamination took place.

Wheels were decontaminated with Auto Finesse Iron Out and then pressure washed down.

First time i've used Auto Finesse Iron Out and it was a little concerning seeing the purple marks all over the wheel but it seems to do it's job pretty well and makes a river of what looks like vimto after washing it off! :D

Citrus Power was used on the bonnet and front of the car where millions of bug had attacked my bonnet. It did a pretty good job at removing most of them;

Then the car was rinsed down and washed using the two bucket method using Autoglym Body Shampoo, always loved the stuff, plenty of suds. Here's some reflection side shots afterwards :)

Exhaust was then polished from this;

To this;

Product used was Autosol, amazing stuff and can't praise it enough. Brings back the shine! :)

With the clean exhaust tips I noticed the exhaust back box looked horrendous and wasn't doing me any favours from the back, especially if the car was on a slight decline!

Didn't look too healthy for a 10 month car so I looked upon Autosol to help me out and it didn't let me down! Much buffing later....

A couple of small black marks didn't seem to want to come off but still a massive improvement!

Then I moved on to the wheels, I inspected them for chips and scratches and noticed a few nasty ones...

This was on one of my front callipers;

All I had at my disposal was a Halfords Tornado Red touch-up pen but I thought that was better than nothing so gave it a go, results were far from perfect but it hides it a little. Also cleaned the calliper up a little bit using the Autoglym Wheel Brush and Autofinesse Wheel Cleaner. It looked okay considering the brush you get with these touch up sticks is next to useless.

Then on a rear wheel I noticed this nasty scratch, no idea where it came from :(

Armed with nothing but Autoglym Super Resin Polish and a micro fibre cloth I decided to have a go at removing it, lots of elbow grease later and it was much improved, still there but no longer stood out;

So pleased with the result intact I decided to polish the entire wheel and the other 3 with the same product. I do need to take my front wheels off at some point for a good clean and to seal the insides. Sadly I didn't have time to seal and wax the wheel faces but the Super Resin Polish should repel dirt and dust for a little bit until i get around to doing just that.

To finish off I used some Tyre and Bumper spray on dressing from Tesco, yes Tesco! I have Autofinesse Tyre Gel and to be honest was quite disappointed in how long it lasted so saw this in my box from years ago and thought why not give it a go, so far the results have looked good! Here's the front completed wheel;

Then lastly I noticed the dealer had kindly left some polish behind on my rubber sills;

This was quickly fixed using some Autoglym Bumper Restore;

And some finished shots;

Not the best, apologies! But all in all a good days work and I strongly recommend painting the inner hubs of the rear wheels, has made such a massive improvement!

Big thanks to PTAV over on detailing world for letting me use his drive way to jack the car up the other week! :D
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Golf GTI MK7 - Wash & Painting Bits - PIC HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2014, 13:42 »
Just goes to show the little things make a big difference! Looks great mate, i reckon i'll need to do my hubs at some point cos they're already going rusty after 6 months! :angry:

Did you use the spray or brush on hammerite?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2014, 15:38 »
Great job  :cool:

How come you're all getting rusty hubs?  No sign of rust on my mk6 hubs and coming up to to 2 years old.  Different story on me old mk5 though.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2014, 21:50 »
Just goes to show the little things make a big difference! Looks great mate, i reckon i'll need to do my hubs at some point cos they're already going rusty after 6 months! :angry:

Did you use the spray or brush on hammerite?

Thanks mate :) I brushed on the hammerite. Hardly used any either! It makes the world of difference Jimble. Can definitely recommend it.

Great job  :cool:

How come you're all getting rusty hubs?  No sign of rust on my mk6 hubs and coming up to to 2 years old.  Different story on me old mk5 though.

Thanks pal. I have no idea. The front hubs were actually okay but the rear ones were awful!
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2014, 21:04 »
Nice work! As Jimble says, the little jobs make a big difference and it looks great as a result.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2014, 09:16 »
Looking good. :cool:

Strong wheel cleaner, the hydrochloric acid that a lot of carwashes use or even TFR will start the rusting process off.

Unfortunately some cars get hit with it before leaving the showroom. :(

If you are wondering how I know this, I have personally mixed some of the chemicals delivered to Maidstone Audi.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline PoloJen

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2014, 10:22 »
I think a lot of new cars have that rust problem, manufacturers don't seem to want to pay the extra for coated parts.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2014, 13:00 »
I have a GTD, almost a year old. Alloys are similar from the point of view they are partially black. However, they appear to be matte instead of high gloss. I was told to get Iron-X, and may as well purchase Autoglym Super Resin Polish also. Where can I buy these from? I type it in to google and loads of websites come up and not all appear legit. Any go to place for a one stop shop?

ta
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2014, 13:13 »
waxamomo - detailing section sponsors.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2014, 13:28 »