Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 30892 times)

Offline Jackfire

• Not said much yet
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #250 on: 17 February 2021, 15:58 »
This weeks AutoExpress reviews Mk8 Gti verses 128ti and the BMW wins!

For those of us with a stingy disposition, how do they score each car?
4.5 for the 128ti. 4 for Gti. “128ti...fun to drive. Gti.....expensive and lacks the outright focus of rivals.....even if you put the Gti in Sport which is Number 11 in the settings menu (I kid you not)” I am now biased, after all observations on this forum I went for the 128ti and I am very pleased.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #251 on: 17 February 2021, 16:01 »
GTI into sport? press the driving mode physical shortcut button multiple times (to cycle the mode) or once and pick it off of the menu... like on the Mk7...

What spec 128ti did you go for?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jackfire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #252 on: 17 February 2021, 16:19 »
GTI into sport? press the driving mode physical shortcut button multiple times (to cycle the mode) or once and pick it off of the menu... like on the Mk7...

What spec 128ti did you go for?
As it comes, no additions in Storm Bay with the red decals. The standard spec is enough in my view, I bought the car to enjoy driving not to play with technology. Lots on here about the seats, again my view is the standard seats are very comfortable and supportive. It drives very well, if you are out to enjoy a sporty drive it needs concentration and attention to the road not 10 minutes making your mind up on what settings for the suspension!

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #253 on: 17 February 2021, 16:26 »
Basic 128ti spec is pretty good. I like the storm bay and i like the red flashes.

Yeah I hated the seats after a day in the damned thing  :whistle:

If I could have spec'ed the m-sport seats like you can in Europe, it would have been much better.

Probably ok if you just want a fun toy, i needed a workhorse.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #254 on: 17 February 2021, 17:10 »
4.5 for the 128ti. 4 for Gti. “128ti...fun to drive. Gti.....expensive and lacks the outright focus of rivals.....even if you put the Gti in Sport which is Number 11 in the settings menu (I kid you not)” I am now biased, after all observations on this forum I went for the 128ti and I am very pleased.

:afro: thanks
About what we’d expect for the result then.

I quite agree and can relate to your thoughts on spec for the 128ti, no point loading it with extras only to find the cost brings it into 135i territory, just enjoy it as a fun car that has decent spec as standard.

Something I did notice on my 135i was that the driving modes were more of a stepped thing where the Golf was far more subtle in that area.
Being as the 128ti is a Mini of sorts you’d expect and hope it would be sharp and fun to drive.
Horses for courses and all that but I reckon the 128ti will deservedly be a popular car. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner