Author Topic: noise from diff  (Read 1028 times)

Offline markiboo21

• Just got here
noise from diff
« on: 31 August 2014, 16:48 »
Hi there, I've got a 1999 gti,  my problem is this,  every time I pull off I get a weird churning noise, I then took it up on lifts and I found when I turned the wheel fast by hand, both wheels lock up and the noise comes, but when I turn the wheel slowly and increase the speed there is no noise. The noise comes from the diff but would it be a bearing that causes the noise or would it be the diff on its way out? The next step I took was I disconnected the drivers side drive shaft and turned the front passenger wheel slowly and it felt like the diff was grabbing slightly. I'm hoping it will be a bearing. Has anyone experienced the same problem? If so what did you do?

Offline davidgtrr34

• Here all the time
Re: noise from diff
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 18:03 »
When your driving can you feel a vibration in the clutch when you press it
2004 auq, 550cc injectors, gt3071r, adjustable fpr, ebc, fmic, sachs stage 2, walbro 255, 3" turbo back, 3" custom intake, n75 n249 sai delete.
http://s103.photobucket.com/user/davidgtrr34/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140531_192129_zpsgud6vsfb.jpg.html

Offline gti_shaun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2014, 22:10 »
Sounds like bad news to me mate, my old box did a similar thing, the pin that has the planet gears on inside the diff  was rubbing on the gearbox case internally due to roll pin snapping and allowing the rod/pin loose, ended with gear oil everwhere and one knacked gearbox.

Offline markiboo21

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2014, 12:00 »
I can't feel any vibration from the clutch when it's depressed. So a replacement box is needed  :( another thing I found is that when I'm at a stand still with full lock to the right and pull off the noise is worse, could it be inner cv joint?

Offline gti_shaun

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2014, 12:31 »
Id have to hear the noise to be confident but the diff problem is quite common across the range of mk4 petrol engine boxs, your best bet, assuming your not a mechanic is to take it to be checked at a garage.

Offline markiboo21

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2014, 16:28 »
I did take it to a garage and they said it was the drivers side inner cv.  So changed that and the noise is still there. Should I bother changing the other inner cv or should I just find a replacement box?