Author Topic: Changing Pads and Disks on Mk3??  (Read 1078 times)

Offline -(GIT)-

• Not said much yet
Changing Pads and Disks on Mk3??
« on: 05 March 2006, 13:58 »
Hello,
I have just been quoted £550 quid to get my pads and disks replaced on my colour concept GTI, my question is,...  Is this the sort of job that can be done at home??
I am fairly good with doing my own work on the car, but have not ever tried at  the brakes before. I am wondering if I can have a crack at it myself by gettting the parts from a supplier.

Any comments about this would be appreciated thanks, am I just swapping an outlay of money for severe frustration by having a go?, is this a sunday avo job and its done for half the price??
Thanks for any help,

Al
Why clean it... when you can photoshop it!

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
Re: Changing Pads and Disks on Mk3??
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2006, 14:09 »
sounds a bit steep to me. Fronts should be dead easy. half hour each i'd say. Backs are a bit more complicated cos you have to messa bout with the handbrake.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2006, 14:37 »
Agreed, does sound a bit steep, i would expect more around the 300 quid mark.
Fronts are easier to do, just watch out for the 17mm pad carrier bolts, they can rust in big time.
Replace the bearings when you do the back, and again the 2 carrier bolts, which are allen key type nearly always round off and will be seized.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Logie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2006, 17:07 »
Grease the carrier bolts there buggers to get off. So make it easier for yourself next time  :)

mowgli

« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2006, 15:04 »
Give the main stealers a try for a price, my local ones were cheaper than the loacl independants for the same job!