Author Topic: Inner anti roll bar bushes  (Read 8114 times)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Inner anti roll bar bushes
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2010, 15:43 »
have you actually done this? I'm pretty sure the clamp woudl be in the way, there isnt much room for it. plus once open it can be a right bastard to get it to clamp back down again even if the subframe is off the car, let alone when its all sqashed up tight with it bolted to car
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2010, 16:33 »
I think it could be possible to do with the subframe in place, like harlemex says, but it would be pretty tight to do. Possible though I reckon.

Offline *tell*

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2010, 18:29 »
cool thanks for the replys.
i have replaced alot off susthingyon parts and there a loud clonk noise coming from
around there.
im going to be looking at it next week.
thanks tell

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2010, 18:34 »
It is definately possible to do.

Support engine just in case. Undo the Subframe connector bolt. Then undo and remove the sway bar bushing bolt. This holds the metal bush retaining clip which slots into the metalwork above the bush. The work the retaining clip out of its fixing slot and remove the bush.
You may need to lever the subframe down a bit which was why you have removed the subframe connector bolt.

Yes I have done it this way and also removed the standard ARB and replaced it with a Eibach one. To do this you also need to undo the ARB links.

Paul

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2010, 09:25 »
right, good to know!
i guess it also depends which bushes you have, oem and good fitting ones you'll be ok. rallyedesign ones, no way that would ever work. had subframe off and it still took a few hours of wrestling with the clamps till i could get em bolted down. had to use mole grips and the great persuader to get em in

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2010, 12:29 »
The great persuader always helps, as well as ignoring the Haynes manual sometimes.

The Poly bushes supplied with the Eibach ARB's fitted straight on no problems. The original clamps were a bit rusted and needed persuasion.

Paul

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2010, 14:34 »
yeah agreed the eibach bushes fit nicely, had no trouble fitting eibach beam to my mk2 :)

Offline marky-gee

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2010, 21:58 »
Its actually possible to do them without the major overhaul above. Undo the bush bolt and push the bush out with a screwdriver or similar. Then put the new bush on with plenty of grease. Remember it is split so will pull apart. then slide it round and push into position. Dont forget to tighten the bolt .

PROMISE ??
1997 GOLF GTI 2.0 (8v)