Author Topic: to slam or not to slam .....  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Jimp

• I live here
Re: to slam or not to slam .....
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2010, 23:54 »
Slam, always.

Lowered about 90mm or so, maybe 100mm, haven't measured. Enough so that the arch is just past the tire so the arches look full. Lower than it looks at the front since my splitter is a lot smaller than a GTI or VR6 splitter  :wink: I haven't had any rubbing problems yet. Some people don't like the harder ride but I love it  :evil:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2010, 00:02 »
Yep well worth it, a mk3 is like a boat standard.

Offline -danisdubbin-

• GTI forum regular
  • The golf is dead :(
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2010, 09:09 »
right brilliant guys, cheers for all the sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet images :P

yeh your definately right with that 'boat' comment, but i heard off a few people that the handling issue is best resolved with upgraded anti-roll bars ....

so whats the consensus? a 40mm drop? ...... if i fit coilys then i can always change that and go lower if i want to right?

ta for all the help
Staceman ' i struggle not to w**k over that jetta sometimes '

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v 96 Storm Grey - Dead

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2010, 09:21 »

yeh your definately right with that 'boat' comment, but i heard off a few people that the handling issue is best resolved with upgraded anti-roll bars ....

so whats the consensus? a 40mm drop? ...... if i fit coilys then i can always change that and go lower if i want to right?

ta for all the help

Yep but I would avoid cheap coilovers.

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2010, 09:59 »

ta for all the help

Yep but I would avoid cheap coilovers.

Come on Wayne, say it! SAY IT!!  :grin:

Do it once..

kells

« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2010, 13:36 »
god please lets not turn this into yet another thread about "cheep coilovers"  :grin:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2010, 14:15 »
god please lets not turn this into yet another thread about "cheep coilovers"  :grin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2010, 15:19 »
Make sure you lower the car, but do it to a height you feel is appropriate for you. Some people live in areas with plenty of speedbumps and don't like have to risk hitting their sump or underside of the car, others go all out droppin' it on it's ass. Look at the "Show a pic of your MK3" thread to get an idea of what you like the look of, look in the Dub Rides section or better yet, the Projects section.

Buy what you want, and only what you want, by all accounts take people's opinions into consideration, but don't let the make the decision for you.

One final thing, make sure you ring you insurance company either first and get a quote on how much extra it will be to lower it as if this is your first car, you may find them wanting to rape you for everything you've got.

Good luck chap. :afro:

kells

« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2010, 17:34 »
u gonna lower that new car of yours then shady... looks like a 4x4 at the mo  :kiss:

Offline jonnypolish

• I live here
  • t2871r needed :)
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2010, 17:39 »
Shady is right! But i would SLAM a G3 all day... Since they are not quick anyway and look the shizz on the floor   :grin:

Mine, Technically 60mm down.. More like 80-100 with the shorter than standard coilovers!
Lowered the same all round and with the stiffest damping setting for zero rubbing   :cool:

40mm should be lovely, will sit nicely on the wheels and not allow immigrants to be smuggled in the arches  :evil:
 MK2 VR y0!