Author Topic: Mk2 8v GTi Unused for 4yrs, won't start  (Read 5436 times)

Offline John strong

• Just got here
Mk2 8v GTi Unused for 4yrs, won't start
« on: 06 April 2018, 23:45 »
All ideas appreciated!  Running well when last used, and re-started without problem after six months of laying idle, but no attempt since.  Very little fuel in tank and refreshed with new 5ltrs.  Seemingly v high compression as will hardly turn over despite having a chunky battery jumped across.  Spins like a top with plugs out, but increasingly loaded when plugs one by one replaced. Spark is apparent but perhaps nothing to burn as will not fire at all.  No obvious petrol smell so I'm thinking that the injectors are not delivering.  Might old fuel, evaporated off, leave them gummy?  So far I've not touched the fuel distributor or injectors.  Appreciate any thoughts anyone has?
« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 23:47 by John strong »

Offline hardcrimper

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk2 8v GTi Unused for 4yrs, won't start
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2018, 17:21 »
It could be the fuel pump they do seize up when not in constant use, had same problem on my car.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2018, 16:39 »
pull an injector and see is it spraying

Offline oxb1l

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2018, 23:17 »
I had a similar issue with mine , my friend removed the bigger pipes at the metering head (1 to the front and one to the side, no fuel pressue)
He then went under to the pump which had power and found the accumulator to be sticky , gave it a tap with a small hammer and luckily it has freed off and now starts without any issues.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2018, 10:21 »
Firstly check that the pump primes when turning the key to ignition on. If it doesn't it's likely the relay. WD40 is your friend here...

If the fuel pump primes, go to the fuel rail for the injectors and carefully open the bleed valve for it and see if pressurised fuel escapes. It's a good way to bleed the air and old fuel out too.

Check your timing! This was my problem causing similar issues to you. Follow the tuning guide in this section and you won't go wrong.

If there's fuel in the system and you have spark, check the wiring. Firstly the negative strap from the head to the coil pack, and also all the wires off it. If in doubt, borrow a known working one and try that. Also check the connection to the ignition amplifier.

Hope this helps you find what's wrong. Good luck.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!