Author Topic: GTD Tornado Red  (Read 29211 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTD ordered
« Reply #30 on: 02 November 2014, 19:46 »
I wonder if I had the S&S external generator whether I'd actually ever turn it on.

In the same way a lot of people with DCC leave it in comfort mode.

Or maybe its not about how much you use it, but that you can, when the mood takes you.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 02 November 2014, 20:43 »
I wonder if I had the S&S external generator whether I'd actually ever turn it on.

In the same way a lot of people with DCC leave it in comfort mode.

Or maybe its not about how much you use it, but that you can, when the mood takes you.

Ours is on all of the time  :cool: like the sound even at steady speed on the motorway. Even if you turn it off the car sounds better than a GTD without S&S.

It is nice to know the choice is there though.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 03 November 2014, 16:25 »
Its also on constantly for me. Great sound to it.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 03 November 2014, 20:39 »
The sound is awesome. My engine settings tend to be:

Default: Sport
Other folk in the car/making conversation: Normal
Long motorway cruise: Eco (I know I know)

P3asa, I think you asked me about motorway sound the other day and I forgot to reply sorry... I checked it again since, and I can definitely hear the exhaust hum on the motorway when in Sport, especially under any kind of acceleration - so I do tend to turn it off then, is that not the same for you?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 03 November 2014, 23:10 »
No I don't think mine makes much of a noise on the motorway. Certainly going through the gears it does but I think its hardly noticeable if at all at motorway speeds.
I'll switch it off going to work tomorrow and see if there is a noticeable difference.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline BarneyBarnett

• Just got here
« Reply #35 on: 05 November 2014, 22:02 »
My order has just been confirmed with the revised options. Stock date listed as 16/01/2015. New spec has leather, reverse camera, sport&sound, nav, light assist
GTD with Leather, Nav, Camera, headlight assist, Sport and Sound Pack

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 06 November 2014, 00:01 »
Awesome! Saw a GTD in black a few days ago and looked bad ass with the rear LED's on.

Did you get to try toggling Sport on the motorway p3asa? I did a run today on Eco and switching to Sport when coming off the slip the exhaust sounded particularly savage, not sure if it was the rather cool ambient temp outside helping out, but I don't think I will ever tire of it  :laugh:

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 06 November 2014, 22:48 »
Yes ffrank, played about with it the other day on a 100 mile round trip.
At speed toggling between Normal and Sport I couldn't hear any exhaust rumbling.
What I did notice was if I was in 6th gear sitting at 1500  revs then blip the accelerator I could hear the exhaust growl but once the revs went up it disappeared in the higher gears.

The sound is definitely addictive. I don't think I have a sound actuator in the cabin as I can't hear any artificial noise. It all seems to be coming from the actual exhaust.

I keep meaning to turn the actuator off in VCDS to see if there is a difference.

Offline hatco1800es

• Just got here
« Reply #38 on: 27 November 2014, 21:21 »
The sport and sound pack uses the speakers inside the car to provide an aural perception of the engine behaviour and is not replicated by the exhaust dB. Is it that worthwhile?

Just ordered today a Limestone Grey 3dr GTD Manual

Winter Pack
Discovery Sat Nav

It will join an up! on the drive ;)

Waiting on the build date...

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 27 November 2014, 21:32 »
No, the sound isn't from the internal speakers - comes from the exhaust system itself. There is a loudspeaker built into the centre section of the exhaust to generate sound

The external sound will be like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a6Ez-6fTVI

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special