Author Topic: STEERING RACK ISSUE  (Read 65726 times)

GreyTornado

Re: STEERING RACK ISSUE
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2007, 00:09 »
had my 55 reg gti a month and this most annoying gratting noise is steadily getting worse by the day. took it to my local vw dealer today... told them what i'd read about it and hey presto... its booked in next week for a new steering rack.... so thanx for pointing this out  :kiss: :kiss:

Offline micalee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 08 July 2007, 08:27 »
Having read through a few of these threads, I have some issues also. The brakes make that grinding noise on parking up on, slow speed whilst braking plus my power steering is awefull!!

I know it is not hydrolic, but its notchy, light then heavy!! Any ideas on this one? It going in on friday to VW
« Last Edit: 08 July 2007, 12:05 by micalee »

MK5 R32 DSG 2006 For Sale soon

Offline micalee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 18 July 2007, 07:26 »
Problem solved!! Well, diagnosed anyway!

Took the car to the dealers and they explained to me that the wheels were probably not getting the full electrical charge from the battery at low speeds to operate the power steering effectively. They contacted VW who eventually got back and said the power level which they were quoted from my car was fine. The issue is and quoted by VW themselves, "you cannot move the steering anymore than 300 degrees in under a second" or you will experience the effect you are reporting!

Well, the dealer and myself think this is mad and he contacted them back and is awaiting another answer.

VW cannot tell me that with all the advances in technology, etc etc, that they cant make the power steering work smoothly if you move it too fast!! Every other car i have driven works smoothly regardless of the speed you turn it, even in cheap cars!

Come on VW, sort it out!

Then there was the noisy brakes - Well, VW tell me there is a new part which replaces the dodgy part in the brakes which is causing this noise! (Its not dodgy as in unsafe, just that it contributed towards the noise that many of us experience.)

Anyway, they replaced the part and i can say that all seems well so far! VW also told me that the part was in short supply as all Golfs were getting this replacement part, so if you have the same problem, get along to the dealers!
« Last Edit: 18 July 2007, 07:36 by micalee »

Offline Dekkerz

• Just got here
« Reply #43 on: 15 August 2007, 11:12 »
I've just had my steering rack replaced.. and now the climate control is not working.. anyone experienced similar issues?

Offline micalee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #44 on: 17 August 2007, 13:06 »
I had my steering rack replaced in a bid to cure the funny feel steering, but made no difference. They test drove all the GTi's they had at VW and the symptoms are all the same - so VW said no can fix!

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #45 on: 28 August 2007, 15:01 »
is there a fix for this clonking??? :cry:
SteveS

ED30: Carbonio Intake & Filter | Blueflame TBE | Ebach Sportlines | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Forge DV | REVO Stage2 [353BHP/360lb/ft]

Offline KentBladeboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 28 August 2007, 22:46 »
My stealer has decided to go down a different route, although I have the usual symptoms, cracking, groaning on left lock, and I even have discussed the rack change available, they have decided to change the front springs and strut top mount bushes,
strange has they changed the strut mounts in June for the same problem and didn't cure it.........still I'll let them go on their merry way, I'm sure they will finally decide a rack change is the cure, and guess they will pat theirselves on the back for racking up a chunk of warranty money whilst attempting to 'fix' the problem.    :undecided:
05 GTI DSG, Steel Grey,Monzas,Xenons,Leather etc.,  SOLD

GreyTornado

« Reply #47 on: 24 September 2007, 09:30 »
had my 55 reg gti a month and this most annoying gratting noise is steadily getting worse by the day. took it to my local vw dealer today... told them what i'd read about it and hey presto... its booked in next week for a new steering rack.... so thanx for pointing this out  :kiss: :kiss:

bloody things gone again.... WTFs going on? only had it replaced in june... well its going in tommorrow so they can get it fixed properley this time!!! :angry:

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #48 on: 24 September 2007, 16:57 »
mine has gone in today for the clonking, we will see where that gets me
SteveS

ED30: Carbonio Intake & Filter | Blueflame TBE | Ebach Sportlines | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Forge DV | REVO Stage2 [353BHP/360lb/ft]

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #49 on: 25 September 2007, 09:49 »
got my car back today.... so they only had the car A day.

I got the work sheet and it says;

"when turning lock to lock only noise heard is spring noise when brake on.
brake off- ok
noise caused by sping tensioning when brake applied and steering moved -- normal"

i also had the headlights slightly adjusted.

that came to 74.92 (labour) nothing else.... so not sure what they did..... the noise seams to have gone. i just hope it dont come back...
SteveS