Author Topic: 97P GTi 8 valve cut out, dead in the water.  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Trubbs

• Just got here
97P GTi 8 valve cut out, dead in the water.
« on: 20 March 2012, 23:11 »
Hello folks, I am new to the forum and have just bought a Golf as a temporary car while my van is off the road. It is all original with full MOT and full service history, is a nice unmolested straight car and I'm very happy and impressed by it all round.

However, today without warning the engine coughed and died. It then eventually restarted and kangaroo'd to a friend's house, where it now refuses to start at all. The battery is good, the fuel pump kicks in when the key is turned and there is plenty of fuel. No fuses are blown, the fuel pump relay works, but there is no spark from the coil pack lead when I hold it near the block and turn it over. Petrol is pumping, I can smell it after a few seconds of cranking.

Being new to the Golf but an semi competent car tinkerer I'm guessing either it is the coil pack which has failed, or the feed to it, or maybe the crankshaft sensor. I didn't think to look at the tacho while it was cranking so I can't say for certain whether it was moving or not, but I think it might have been moving. Just wondering if these symptoms ring any bells for any members? Are the coil packs notorious for being a weak point? I know crank sensors can have a limited life normally because of where they are on the engine, but I can't remember a coil just packing in with no warning before...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Offline Trubbs

• Just got here
Re: 97P GTi 8 valve cut out, dead in the water.
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2012, 17:08 »
wow, cheers everyone. It was the coil pack.