Author Topic: Cannot get gears MK3 16V  (Read 4078 times)

Offline rallyg

• Just got here
Cannot get gears MK3 16V
« on: 26 June 2011, 18:43 »
hi I've got a 96gti mk3 for wifey and was running great. pulling fine no clutch wear . she pulled up at lights and could not get any gears at all when ready to pull away . when i got there i found a gear by hand and got it back home .iv not worked on a golf  before so looking for some advice the cable end,s seem,s a bit sloppy  but i can get reverse and 1 other gear i think this will be 5th? but theres nothing broken that i can see has anyone had this problem any advice please.

Was hoping to have a bash at it tomorrow if i can get some pointers.

Offline jambo_the_great

• Not said much yet
Re: Cannot get gears MK3 16V
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2011, 02:42 »
i have the same problem except now i think i made it worse i only get second

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2011, 07:03 »
First of all, lift the gaitor and have a look if anything is fouling. You should be a le to see which gear your selecting better then as well. Next up is a new linkage kit. About £25 but should help with any play between gears etc. Is it happening with the engine running or is it the same when it's not?
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2012, 22:17 »
First of all, lift the gaitor and have a look if anything is fouling. You should be a le to see which gear your selecting better then as well. Next up is a new linkage kit. About £25 but should help with any play between gears etc. Is it happening with the engine running or is it the same when it's not?

Hi Sean, sent you a pm don't know if it sent tho, regarding the linkage kit  :undecided:
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2012, 19:37 »
May I just step in here and add that the 16v doesn't have a rod change gear linkage like the 8v therefore a ''linkage kit'' is not available as mentioned. Instead it has a cable shifting set up which has very few linkage parts in comparison.
The gear change on these is notoriously sh!te and i for one bloody hate it but live with it after much fettling and the addition of a few modified and upgraded components.
There are still some plastic parts on the shift tower on top of the gearbox that can be replaced as these do eventually wear out and become sloppy and vague in feeling through the gearstick.
Id be inspecting the gearbox end of the cables first to see if any thing is loose, worn or has slipped out of place. The two main parts that wear out are still available from VW and equate to about £40 or so iirc.
An gearbox oil change did help matters on mine as well.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2012, 07:39 »
can you get all gears manually using the tower arm on the box?
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0