Author Topic: Rear Disc Conversion - 19/01/2011  (Read 46897 times)

Offline Madds

• Not said much yet
Re:drum brake conversion
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2004, 12:24 »
Hi all,

New to the Gti Scene (just bought my first one).
Mines got drums on the front, which fair to say isn't too hand at braking.
Whats the best way to convert to disks front end?

Cheers.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2004, 18:32 »
 :o Drums on the front? r u sure?

Offline Madds

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2004, 19:48 »
Absolutely sure. I'm no mechanic, but I recognise drum brakes.
Is this rare then? Its an '83 so not that early.

Does everybody else have disks on the front then?

???

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2004, 20:54 »
Mk1 golf with drums on the front? (between you and me, the brakes are a bit marginal with disks  ;)). Take the wheel off and post a picture.
Steve.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2004, 00:28 »
Never heard of drums on the front of a Golf.....any Golf for that matter....post pics ;)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2004, 11:20 »
I'm still puzzled about this, an 83 on drums all round, I don't dispute ur judgement but that is so weird!  :o.  Has somebody done a beetle brake conversion or something! lol..  Please post pics, curious on the setup...

Shaun

Offline Madds

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 02 June 2004, 17:17 »
Its in the garage at the mo having the fusebox replaced. As soon as I get it back I'll take some pics. Thought it was dodgy myself to be honest but just thought it was one of those things.
Drums all round on my split, and that doesn't move half as quick.

Pics next week with any luck.

Cheers so far,
madds

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #27 on: 12 June 2004, 23:37 »
the mk1's brakes were bad enough with discs on the front let alone drums!

vix, that scirocco I got your heater controls might have that cable, but they're only ?15 new you may aswell buy one of those.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #28 on: 28 July 2004, 23:06 »
errrrr... a note on the side of caution... the back of a golf is very light, therfore if you have to brake hard there is a high possibility of the ba*tard swapping ends, the caddy weighs less at the back, and unless it is rammed with ICE or 'well feed' mates the problem could be much worse.
Make sure the brake ballance valve works properly, take it to an MOT station and get the efficency tested, they should be able to tell you if it is ok and working etc.  
Sorry for the gloomy message, but from past experence, pulling a 180 on the exit of a tight is cornor, whilest out on a 'rag' and having to reverse away from your following mate at 50ish  is pant filling for all involed... :o :o :o :o
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline richard ellison

• I live here
  • Mk1 Cab 'Gertrude'
« Reply #29 on: 08 August 2004, 21:48 »
errrrr... a note on the side of caution... the back of a golf is very light, therfore if you have to brake hard there is a high possibility of the ba*tard swapping ends, the caddy weighs less at the back, and unless it is rammed with ICE or 'well feed' mates the problem could be much worse.
Make sure the brake ballance valve works properly, take it to an MOT station and get the efficency tested, they should be able to tell you if it is ok and working etc.  
Sorry for the gloomy message, but from past experence, pulling a 180 on the exit of a tight is cornor, whilest out on a 'rag' and having to reverse away from your following mate at 50ish  is pant filling for all involed... :o :o :o :o

im not sure if that would be the case if you uprated the discs on the front as well as the rear convo... then the balance would the similar- heavier braking from the front....