Author Topic: (Newbie) Comments on my Spec for imminent GTI purchase!  (Read 4890 times)

Offline mike.

• I live here
Re: (Newbie) Comments on my Spec for imminent GTI purchase!
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2010, 10:12 »
cheers for comments!

yeah xenons would be good but budget is stretched!

thinking on the revserse cam, assume would just order this option and then retrofit the rns510? they would then just connect up as it were?

I think if you  order the Rear Camera as well, you have to upgrade the radio to the RCD510 at an extra cost of £380

If you change later to the RNS510 then the wiring will be already there. You could then sell the RCD510 on Ebay as they get about £250 - £300
« Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 10:14 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline RickS

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2010, 12:41 »
Hi All,

Firstly as a newbie to the forum I have to say that the info on here has been flippin great in helping me make informed choices on the GTI. I am pretty much ready to go and place an order this week, subject to available build slots and then to wait the expected 5-6 month lead time! But a 11 plate is going to be ideal in any case.

Based on the info I am going for the following spec and would really be keen to have some feedback on it and some thoughts on my queries.

Manual, 5dr, 18inch Alloys
Pearl Black
ACC
Lux/Winter Pack
Storage Pack
Park assist front and rear sensors (for the mrs'!
I'll be looking to take the solutions finance on this, for 3 yrs, 12k miles
VW have an offer on at the mo which includes servicing if you take the finance, 7.6% APR seems ok for this.But need to order soon to avoid dissapointment (yeah yeah :rolleyes:)

I'll probably take the GAP, if dealer is competitive or based on one of those referenced on the site.

I will probably use a broker, carfile (who i have used before) can get a good discount off list price if local dealer won't budge. Any thoughts most welcome.

other things pondering on:
Flat tyre indicator? worth it?
Bluetooth? any good?
anything else? but can't afford to go for the leather, DSG, or Xenons chaps!

looked at the posts on the rns510 retrofit so may look into this in the future but will have the rcd310 initially. Would this affect warranty if you retrofitted the 510?

I currently have a trusty mk4 golf GT TDI 130 (52 plate 129k) which serves me well and pulls like a train! but will keep this mk4 for work. the GTI is for play, the mrs commute (6miles daily) and the odd work trip.

cheers for any thoughts

Before taking out GAP check with your insurance company, they may provide a new replacement in the unfortunate event that your new car is written off in the first 12 months.
I would advise getting Dynaudio, some disagree, but I think it sounds superb and is worth the money. [You will have to get at  least the RCD510 to go with this I believe]
Cruise control is cheap, you may as well get that too.
At first I wished I'd specced Xenon's, but as time passes I'm finding myself less bothered about this. Unlike some others on here who seem to be obsessed by them. :laugh:
2012 R. Rising Blue 3 door DSG with 19" Talladega's, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, DCC, Rear Cam, Colour MFD, Lux pack, Storage pack, Service plan.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2010, 13:11 »
Worth noting that Cruise control is cheaper (or was cheaper by nearly £100) as a dealer fit option rather than factory fit option and theres no difference as its a stalk change and abit of programming.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 13:13 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Taff_09

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2010, 13:25 »
cheers for thoughts !

so easy to get carried away with your options!!  :laugh:
Deep Pearl Black | Mk6 GTI 5dr | Manual | ACC | 18"Monza Shadows | Luxury/Storage Pack | Park Assist | F/R Park Sensors | RVC | RCD 510 | VW Bluetooth | Xenons| Winter Pack|3 YR Service Plan | Ordered 10/2010 and Collected 05/2011!!

GOLF GT TDI 130 140k all standard

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2010, 13:30 »
xenons - a must
dynaudio - IMO a must, sounds much better than the billy basic stereo

re: gap insurance (a must have also) - haggle, big time - i threatened to go somewhere else for it other than VW (found it at about £150) - in the end they gave it to me for free  :cool:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2010, 13:35 »
Worth noting that Cruise control is cheaper (or was cheaper by nearly £100) as a dealer fit option rather than factory fit option and theres no difference as its a stalk change and abit of programming.

Won't you only get 2 years labour and parts warranty rather than the 3 years if it was factory fitted?  :undecided:

Or don't bother at all and put it towards the inevitable remap  :evil:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2010, 13:45 »
Won't you only get 2 years labour and parts warranty rather than the 3 years if it was factory fitted?  :undecided:
No, a quote from the accessory catalogue
Volkswagen Genuine aceessories are protected by a 3 year volkswagen warrenty if they are fitted at the pre-delivery inspection. If fitted after this time they are covered by a 2 year warrenty.

So if you include it in your new car order as a dealer fit accessory then it will be fitted at pre-delivery time so have a 3 year warrenty,
Even if it was only 2 years the extra you save a replacment stalk is less than £50 and then all it needs is fitting (as will already be programmed) so its would not cost much and its unlikly to fail in that one year anyway.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 13:54 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #17 on: 18 October 2010, 13:53 »
No, a quote from the accessory catalogue
Volkswagen Genuine aceessories are protected by a 3 year volkswagen warrenty if they are fitted at the pre-delivery inspection. If fitted after this time they are covered by a 2 year warrenty.

So if you include it in your new car order as a dealer fit accessory then it will be fitted at pre-delivery time so have a 3 year warrenty,
Even if it was only 2 years the extra you save a replacment stalk is less than £50 and then all it needs is fitting (as will already be programmed) so its would not cost much and its unlikly to fail in that one year anyway.

Ah didn't know that  :smiley:  Always assumed that anything fitted by a dealer had the usual 2 year warranty

I'd still put the money towards something else; never been a fan of cruise control