Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 627515 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3070 on: 07 October 2020, 12:27 »
@David25 just been on the phone to my local vw service dept & they told me you dont have to change the entire cap assembly, the seal inside the cap can be replaced and is about £11

Thanks, but its too late now for!

You can see a black rubber 0-ring inside but looking in my old cap, I would not know how to remove it and fit a new one without damaging it.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3071 on: 08 October 2020, 12:36 »
@David25 just been on the phone to my local vw service dept & they told me you dont have to change the entire cap assembly, the seal inside the cap can be replaced and is about £11

Thanks, but its too late now for!

You can see a black rubber 0-ring inside but looking in my old cap, I would not know how to remove it and fit a new one without damaging it.

no worries, im just getting vw to do mine as this is the 3rd day they have had my car since it went in for a chain & tensioner change, apparently they got sent the wrong parts first, then they broke the chain cover when re-fitting & i asked them to check my inlet manifold as i was getting a couple of error codes (PO507, PO171,PO299)

expecting to be best part of £1000 lighter by the end of the week
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3072 on: 12 October 2020, 17:06 »
today i have been fiddling with my android headunit & everything is now setup as i like it & discovered agama car launcher which has totally changed the look of the interior of the car, looks more oem now

also using an amplifier/EQ app as the native android one is sh!t, going to setup kodi next :evil:

hoping RTech put me on their 3month waiting list for a remap this week :tongue: don't want to wait that long really but would always have a niggling voice in the back of my head if i took it anywhere else for a generic remap but means i have the money to refurb my alloys sooner than i expected so all good, just got to decide if i want them painted black or gun metal grey rather than the original diamond cut
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3073 on: 16 November 2020, 23:49 »
injector failure :angry: car is in garage been quoted £450 guess its better now than after my RTech remap in january
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3074 on: 18 November 2020, 09:58 »
I just look at it as its cheaper to fix than money you loose on a new car or have to pay every month to 'rent' a new car.

A mates asked for my help finding an Android headunit for his Mk5
Can you recommend one as im out of touch with these things. Last audio I bought was 2010!

Thank for any help
Geoff.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2020, 10:07 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3075 on: 19 November 2020, 21:48 »
The Xtrons one posted a bit back in this thread looks good: https://xtrons.co.uk/volkswagen-skoda-seat-various-android-10-octa-core-4gb-ram-32gb-rom-pb90mtvl

I haven't seen one, though. Might want to check some reviews of it. If your mate has an RCD510 or RNS315 or something they still go for ~£200 on ebay so might not work out too expensive.

I wouldn't recommend looking for RCD330/RCD330Plus etc. A lot of people were installing them a while back it seems as they were genuine units for Chinese VWs. But the ones you find now are weird Chinese frankensteins where they've taken a different head unit and made a fake looking front panel so it fits in a Mk5/6. I spent considerable effort getting one imported from China only to find it looked like sh!t and sent it back immediately. It made me appreciate my RNS315 more, though!
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3076 on: 20 November 2020, 10:47 »
Thanks
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3077 on: 23 November 2020, 00:46 »
thats the xtrons unit i have, had some minor issues that were resolved with a firmware update in 2mins, got no problems with it at all and have it looking pretty good thanks to agama car launcher app
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3078 on: 19 January 2021, 01:55 »
not today but sunday i put led sequential indicators in the wing mirrors, massive improvement on the oem units with 4 tiny leds..waiting for 7.5 style headlights and sequential smoked rears..

Also earlier this month i took my GTi to RTech Performance for inlet valve cleaning, 4 new injectors with uprated seals and baskets & stage 1 remap..

Stock:    220 bhp
stage 1:  276.7 bhp - 307 lb-ft torque

mods: ram air cone intake & res delete

is a complete animal now
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 04:27 by ramrod »
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3079 on: 20 January 2021, 09:34 »
I do keep thinking of doing similar.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI