Author Topic: LPG???  (Read 1775 times)

Offline bundy

• GTI forum regular
LPG???
« on: 09 May 2012, 21:16 »
Jus wondering if anyone has any experience with daily life of LPG? common problems and life expectancyof the whole thing?  jobs now starting to take off so fancy with a bit more power but with out the price of petrol  :laugh:

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: LPG???
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2012, 21:19 »
Eh?

You won't get more POWER! from using LPG.  It's more economics than anything.

Offline kr1s77

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2012, 21:35 »
i've had my mk3 on lpg for about 4 years now. i haven't had any problems with the lpg (yet, touch wood). performance wise, i'd say that you loose about 20% when its running on lpg. the garage that installed it just advised me change the plugs more often, so i just them every 6 months or so.
ASV 1.9 TDI 110

Offline bundy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 19:39 »
just mean that with LPG you can have somethin more powerful as it wont cost as much in fuel,
was just toyin with the idea really but suppose it would all depend on the age of the car and miles etc theres a filling station local to me so wouldnt be bad around town but like you say on a run would have to plan it a bit better.

hmmmmm decision decisions

Offline Jord_GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 20:15 »
i've had my mk3 on lpg for about 4 years now. i haven't had any problems with the lpg (yet, touch wood). performance wise, i'd say that you loose about 20% when its running on lpg. the garage that installed it just advised me change the plugs more often, so i just them every 6 months or so.

Fcuk me! Lose 20% performance on an 8v mk3? 0-60 in 3 days?

Offline kodkod.84

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 22:05 »
My dad once owned mk2 Golf driver converted to van with a massive LPG tank. It was dead slow, smelt of gas but very very cheap to run. This was back when LPG from Countrywide was about 20p a litre

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2012, 19:28 »
I used to do LPG conversions for a living(LPGA registered installer)
You tend to get 5-10% less mpg on gas
You need to service a little sooner especially plugs and air filter.
Much cleaner burning,emissions are very low.
Check the Lpg prices in your area as they vary depending on how many filling stations are actually in your area.

The kits themselves are easy to fit and i still have the software and link cables for the most common kits(BEDINI,LANDI RENSO,KOLTEC etc)
So the set up itself is covered.

If you are staying VAG thats fine but if you are looking to get a from factory kit installed avoid the vauxhalls as they old Necam kits were a poor design and of poor build quality and they were never actually installed AT FACTORY they were farmed out to smaller firms.

If your that way inclined and want to avoid the taxman you can buy transfer pumps from LPG BOTTLES straight to your tank.The pumps are around £100.Naughty,but only if you get caught and you can ypur fuel down to 0.50p a litre that way.

Budget £1000 for a decent set up dependant on engine whether you use a standard mixer or the more modern IGS multipoint injection systems.
You can have a vsriety of tanks but most people tend to go with the 65litre Doughnut tank that sits in your spare wheel well so you still have use of your boot space.

Remember whatever tank size you go for the actual fill capacity is only 80% to allow for expansion.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2012, 22:54 »
power loss is for 2 main reasons,

1) lpg goes into an engine as gas as opposed to a liquid in the case of petrol so it takes up more volume for the same amount of energy, this displaces air  roughly 10%  of the gas going in through the inlet port will be the fuel iirc  hence the power drop  you've effectvly reduced your engiens capacity by 10%

2) the old vapaoriser and diffuser systems  use a restriction in the intake to draw the gas into the engine from the vaporiser  this restriction by it's very nature it going to reduce power a bit when going flat out. injection systems don't have this issue and are capable of deliverign fuel more accuratly the old systems allways seem to need setting quite rich  to keep the enigne happy all the time.

simpel solution is a bigger engine,  some engines seem to love LPG  some hate it,  carb conversions are crap  the changeover is a pita
all the VW's have gone bar 1.