Author Topic: MK1 Reproduction Chrome Bumper Project  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Retro Specification

• Just got here
MK1 Reproduction Chrome Bumper Project
« on: 05 May 2014, 21:24 »
I have an idea that I think is good, but first want to bounce it off you good people.

I've owned a number of MK1 and MK2 Golfs over the years and have always tinkered with them.  As you know, it can be really time consuming to source parts.  You can spend months waiting for something to come up for sale in the right condition and it's likely to be expensive.

One of the items that I REALLY wanted, but couldn't find, or afford was the classic Chrome MK1 Front and Rear Bumper.I do a lot of work with VW in the UK and got the opportunity to visit their factory in Hanover to look at the VW Transporter being made.  During the trip we visited the Old Timer museum and I got to see a set of original chrome bumpers up front.

Looking at them with my Engineering hat on, they didn't look that tough to replicate.  I even thought I could make some subtle improvements.  So long story short, I've been toying with some designs in CAD and I'm close to having the designs complete.

I'm really interested in your thoughts.  If I can get some support I might make a thread and document my progress and the design/prototyping process.  It might be interesting to see.

Offline Dammizi

• Just got here
Re: MK1 Reproduction Chrome Bumper Project
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2014, 08:21 »
would be really interesting to see how u manage this, considered doing this myself several times before but always thought my welding and metal working skills were a bit too poor to carry out this by myself  :sad:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: MK1 Reproduction Chrome Bumper Project
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2014, 20:48 »
The problem is you can buy after market chrome small bumpers (cheap one's are about £120 and better quality/chroming £200 each).

You would need to make them to compete with those prices and ideally offer a warranty on the finish (the £120 one's come with no warranty for UK use!). I would be interested in your progress if you go ahead  :smiley:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk