Author Topic: Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear  (Read 7367 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2020, 14:57 »
Many, many years ago, I had a Peugeot 450 SRI that would not go into first gear when it was cold. I had to start of in second gear, but after only a few yards, I could stop and easily select first gear.

This was fixed by changing the oil in the gearbox for a different grade. It's no good asking which oil, because it was the best part of 30 years ago.  :grin:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2020, 17:52 »
When I had my EPC fault, I posted some information in the thread that may help you here...

On the drive the technician told me that now the car is back for a 3rd time they are allowed to have "free rein" on diagnosing issues. On all 1st and 2nd investigations, they have set test plans for every problem which they have to follow in order to satisfy VW warranty conditions, so they are just following a book rather than being technicians.

This means if they get part way through a test-plan and they get the 'all clear' from the systems, they stop, regardless if they think there might be a further fault. That's the instructions from VW to all dealers, not their choosing. He said they would now keep the car for longer and use their rolling road etc to diagnose, trouble shoot to find the root cause.

Knowing what I now know, I'd guess that in your case they got part way through the fault finding process and have now stopped.

My advice, push to see the inspection logs. The dealer bills VW for all warranty inspection/work, so it's in your interest. :)

Thanks KMP. Useful to understand the process.
In my case the technician has identified what he believes to be a fault ( though he couldn't replicate the fault I reported). The problem is I believe his explanation is horse sh1t, will lead to unnecessary work, and will not cure the problem. They're also saying I'd have to pay for it. Well I'm not accepting that.
I could ask to see the inspection logs, but it will only confirm he hasn't done anything useful.
I may have to write to head office.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2020, 17:55 »
Many, many years ago, I had a Peugeot 450 SRI that would not go into first gear when it was cold. I had to start of in second gear, but after only a few yards, I could stop and easily select first gear.

This was fixed by changing the oil in the gearbox for a different grade. It's no good asking which oil, because it was the best part of 30 years ago.  :grin:

I had read on a search that gearbox oil can cause this issue ( I think it was a VW up forum/thread).
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had similar issues

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2020, 00:40 »
An update, if anyone interested or can offer technical advice-

despite my initial scepticism, I do wonder if the technician is right- the clutch does feel a little heavy. I'm really not sure how this would account for the problem I have- cold start reverse and first gear selection- and neither is the technician.
VW warranty conditions covers clutches for 6 months or 6,500 miles. I have emailed customer services insisting they properly investigate and rectify the problem- and if the clutch is faulty they must replace at no cost to me.
A car driven normally should not have a clutch fail at around 8k, whatever the warranty terms.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 20 March 2020, 09:44 »
The joys of a manual  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2020, 09:58 »
Haha, yeah- those TCRs at the dealer were looking a little more tempting!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2020, 14:19 »
Haha, yeah- those TCRs at the dealer were looking a little more tempting!
They might have the same issues  :evil:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2020, 15:07 »

despite my initial scepticism, I do wonder if the technician is right- the clutch does feel a little heavy. I'm really not sure how this would account for the problem I have- cold start reverse and first gear selection- and neither is the technician.
VW warranty conditions covers clutches for 6 months or 6,500 miles. I have emailed customer services insisting they properly investigate and rectify the problem- and if the clutch is faulty they must replace at no cost to me.
A car driven normally should not have a clutch fail at around 8k, whatever the warranty terms.

I have my doubts too, perhaps a fellow manual owner in your area could let you try theirs to compare pedals? Mine was occasionally notchy getting into first when cold but never impossible. Sounds to me that they are guessing as it sounds very unlikely the clutch has been examined.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2020, 17:09 »

If they open up your transmission and all they find is a worn clutch then they'll bill you. If they open it up and find a clutch contaminated with oil/grease or mechanical fault like a dodgy spring set up then they'll pay.

My R's gearbox was iffy changing on occasion, it felt gritty 1st>2nd, 2nd>3rd,  and reluctant to slot in 3rd from 6th. Couldn't get dealerships to entertain investigative work because it was so infrequent. Clutch slipped on coldest few days of the year with 23k miles on clock. Again, no investigative warranty work forthcoming, not even a linkage adjustment. If your car isn't making a funny noise and is drive able, they'll send you off with a flea in your ear - welcome to VW customer service.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 20 March 2020, 17:12 »
When I had my EPC fault, I posted some information in the thread that may help you here...

On the drive the technician told me that now the car is back for a 3rd time they are allowed to have "free rein" on diagnosing issues. On all 1st and 2nd investigations, they have set test plans for every problem which they have to follow in order to satisfy VW warranty conditions, so they are just following a book rather than being technicians.

This means if they get part way through a test-plan and they get the 'all clear' from the systems, they stop, regardless if they think there might be a further fault. That's the instructions from VW to all dealers, not their choosing. He said they would now keep the car for longer and use their rolling road etc to diagnose, trouble shoot to find the root cause.

Knowing what I now know, I'd guess that in your case they got part way through the fault finding process and have now stopped.

My advice, push to see the inspection logs. The dealer bills VW for all warranty inspection/work, so it's in your interest. :)

Thanks KMP. Useful to understand the process.
In my case the technician has identified what he believes to be a fault ( though he couldn't replicate the fault I reported). The problem is I believe his explanation is horse sh1t, will lead to unnecessary work, and will not cure the problem. They're also saying I'd have to pay for it. Well I'm not accepting that.
I could ask to see the inspection logs, but it will only confirm he hasn't done anything useful.
I may have to write to head office.
That's my point, I prob didn't explain myself very well. The technician hasn't identified the fault, the fixed plan has. If at any point in the plan they discover a fault, they stop. If there are further faults down the line they won't be found and/or investigated until the first fault is fixed.

If the plan says "replace the clutch assembly", then that will be done, and only then will any further fault be found/investigated.

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.