Author Topic: Activated Charcoal Filter (EVAP) System Solenoid Valve 1 (N80)?  (Read 15258 times)

Offline Steve Mk3 GTI

• Not said much yet
Hi chaps,

Can anyoe help me with what i need to do!?

Getting this error on VAGCOM.....What shall i do to clear it?

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0
Saturday, 02 October 2010, 12:07:18:0

Chassis Type: 1H - VW Golf/Vento III
Scan: 01,02,03,08,12,15,25,41,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine       Labels: 037-906-025-ADY.LBL
   Controller: 037 906 025 H
   Component: SIMOS 4S           1964
   Coding: 00000
   Shop #: WSC 01319
1 Fault Found:
01247 - Activated Charcoal Filter (EVAP) System Solenoid Valve 1 (N80)
            30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
Readiness: N/A

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Sounds like a fault with the charcoal filter. Is the car running ok at the moment. If not you can disconnect the charcoal filter as a short term solution while you search for a replacement. 

Offline Steve Mk3 GTI

• Not said much yet
Sounds like a fault with the charcoal filter. Is the car running ok at the moment. If not you can disconnect the charcoal filter as a short term solution while you search for a replacement. 

Hi, it seems to be running ok, when cold it is very lumpy though. Only had my car for 2 weeks, so not totally sure what is 'normal running'!!

Anyone know if these filters are expensive? easy to replace?

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
The filter is easy to replace Mate. As you look at the engine it's bolted tothe left drivers side inner wing and looks the same size and shape as a coke can with a couple of pipes on it. Two bolts hold it on. Best and cheapest option is second hand one. I have an 8v GTI I am breaking if you want one. Say £10 plus postage (about £4). Let me know or just try disconnecting it first to see if it makes a difference but Vag Com is never wrong.  Let me know       Cheers

Offline Steve Mk3 GTI

• Not said much yet
The filter is easy to replace Mate. As you look at the engine it's bolted tothe left drivers side inner wing and looks the same size and shape as a coke can with a couple of pipes on it. Two bolts hold it on. Best and cheapest option is second hand one. I have an 8v GTI I am breaking if you want one. Say £10 plus postage (about £4). Let me know or just try disconnecting it first to see if it makes a difference but Vag Com is never wrong.  Let me know       Cheers
Hi Deano,
I will take you up on your second hand one....doing some work on my car over the weekend, so would like to get it for then....how soon could you get it posted, and how would you like payment? Paypal, bank transfer?
Cheers
Steve

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
PM'd ya Mate

Offline Steve Mk3 GTI

• Not said much yet
Pm'ed back  :smiley:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
The code is not showing the cannistor to be faulty, but the valve that opens to draw in fuel vapour collected in the filter.
The valve should be separate to the cannistor, it is on old Audi's so should be on golfs.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline javalin

• I live here
deffo seperate valve and canister on the 8v GTI's.  The valve is on a rubber mount on the o/s wheel "housing" next to the air filter box.

Follow this to test it - but suspect a multimeter/o'scope is required to check the electric's really.  Otherwise just unplug for a day or two whilst you sort it.

"Disconnect the pipe between the EVAP valve and the charcol canister. Start the engine and let it warm up. You'll hear the valve clicking and the engine will start to struggle as its breathing un-metered air in.  Should be able to feel a valcuum on the open side of the valve too."

J
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Bit of a mix up from me really guys. What you call the valve I am calling the cannister. It is the valve that will cure the problem and that is what I am sending out. I have told the op that if this does not cure his problem (which I am sure it will do) to return it and I will send him the cannister. I aim to please and want to make sure the op's problem is solved.  Thanks for pointing it out though.  :cool: