Author Topic: Clubsport S - Advisories  (Read 5369 times)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Re: Clubsport S - Advisories
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2019, 15:02 »
The servicing of the PP Haldex unit or VAQ is not in the main front section of the official VW Erwin maintenance schedules...its in the section 2.2.15 called:- "Country specific additional work dependent on time & mileage"...& it states:- Front differential lock..change oil... every 3yrs...

It also states the same for the "all-wheel drive coupling" change oil....every 3yrs...

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2019, 15:40 »
This may be of interest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6b5myTgvI&list=LLnvrCgvcS4IcVEiQxoY1-yg&index=51&t=0s

It is a US video and service intervals for different countries may be different?

I had mine done on my previous PP at 3 years old.

My current car is coming up to 3 years old, yet has covered 7k miles, I will rely on the discretion of the service dept at it's next visit.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2019, 18:28 »
This is interesting to me as my CS 40 is due in on Tuesday morning for its third service and MOT.

I'll see what they say but can anyone confirm if the diff oil should definitely be changed at 3 years?

I should have answers on Monday, will let you know what I find out. I've asked for screenshots from the service system for confirmation and a full roadmap of all maintenance and advisories as they are in the system at the moment.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2019, 18:32 »
The servicing of the PP Haldex unit or VAQ is not in the main front section of the official VW Erwin maintenance schedules...its in the section 2.2.15 called:- "Country specific additional work dependent on time & mileage"...& it states:- Front differential lock..change oil... every 3yrs...

It also states the same for the "all-wheel drive coupling" change oil....every 3yrs...

Thanks, appreciate that. What I find slightly odd is that on a new vehicle, they don't recommend an oil change after run in when i'd expect swarf and contaminants to be in the oil. Yet for differential oil which I expect is now synthetic and less prone to deterioration, they're advising a change on a time interval, not use/mileage.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2019, 19:26 »
This may be of interest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6b5myTgvI&list=LLnvrCgvcS4IcVEiQxoY1-yg&index=51&t=0s

It is a US video and service intervals for different countries may be different?

I had mine done on my previous PP at 3 years old.

My current car is coming up to 3 years old, yet has covered 7k miles, I will rely on the discretion of the service dept at it's next visit.

Thanks for the link, will watch with a coffee in a moment.

You have a CSS don't you? My experience of selling anything that has 'limited edition' or 'collectible' associated is that the car will be interrogated. Having to explain discretionary decisions on the part of the garage will be more trouble than it's worth.

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 01 December 2019, 22:48 »

Thanks, appreciate that. What I find slightly odd is that on a new vehicle, they don't recommend an oil change after run in when i'd expect swarf and contaminants to be in the oil. Yet for differential oil which I expect is now synthetic and less prone to deterioration, they're advising a change on a time interval, not use/mileage.

Thought modern engines were run in on the bench.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2019, 00:43 »

Engines may be, depending on model but the engine is only one component of the system. Hard to see a volume manufacturer like VW having the capacity or bearing the manufacturing cost to do this for proven engines.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2019, 11:08 »

No way in the world do VW or any other large scale manufacturer run in their engines on a bench. Manufacturing tolerances have gotten better, not worse over the years, so why start now?

Imagine the facilities and resource needed to do this, at a time where VAG would skin a turd to save money.

How many hours should VW run an engine in on a bench when most people don't see the best from their VAG engines for 20k miles?
« Last Edit: 02 December 2019, 11:12 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 03 December 2019, 02:08 »
I heard back from VW and have confirmation on a few points that might be of interest:

Front diff lock needs oil changing at 3 years in perpetuity. The front differential lock of the Golf GTI “Performance” is also fitted with a multiplate clutch which corresponds to the Haldex coupling and I suspect this will also apply to my TCR.

The other items are obvious - Spark Plugs (4 years), Air Filter (6 years), Pollen Filter (2 years), Brake Fluid (3, 5, 7 years).

There are two types of pollen filter in the parts catalogue - the hypoallergenic is more expensive. I replaced mine recently and did a decontamination of the aircon. Irritatingly, they sell you the can of antibacterial/fungicidal spray but not the clip on applicator with extended hose to go down the vents. Got one off e-bay. If anyone needs part numbers on any of the above, happy to look them up.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 03 December 2019, 06:50 »
Mines 3 on the 19th Dec and still isn't having its diff oil done. Was told 30k miles which I'll probably get to in march which means another trip to the dealer then.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.