Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 640927 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2740 on: 30 August 2015, 17:57 »
What a weekend, my GTI has had, one day as a Wedding car, and then the day after it was loaded with bikes being used as a back up car for a group of mates that were cycling from Birmingham to Blackpool tower. Thats 150 miles which they managed to do in just over 16 hours! All for Birmingham Neo natal unit so proud of them.

Only downside was the MPG on the run home was disappointing, glad I don't have bikes on the roof all the time. 300 miles managed, one and a half tanks and 24.2MPG was almost crying!

That's what I love about Golf's, so versatile.  :cool:  Was it your wedding?  :laugh:

Well done to your mates on the charity bike ride,nice one  :smiley:  I used to live in Blackpool.  Did a 2 year arts foundation course there and lived in a seedy bedsit where the bed pulled down from the wall. Landlady was a right witch too.  Some good memories but not my favourite town to live in! 

You're still wedded to that bonnet shield then (bra by any other name.  :tongue:)
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2741 on: 30 August 2015, 18:06 »

That's what I love about Golf's, so versatile.  :cool:  Was it your wedding?  :laugh:

Well done to your mates on the charity bike ride,nice one  :smiley:  I used to live in Blackpool.  Did a 2 year arts foundation course there and lived in a seedy bedsit where the bed pulled down from the wall. Landlady was a right witch too.  Some good memories but not my favourite town to live in! 

You're still wedded to that bonnet shield then (bra by any other name.  :tongue:)
[/quote]

Sadly not my wedding but a family members, I couldn't agree more on how it just seems to everything I need it to do, even at 2AM when I was flagging it still managed to perk me up and keep me awake.

I do like Blackpool, last night was brilliant with it being the last bank holiday and everything it was heaving we got so much support.

Yeah, for now I put it back on but I'm not sure on it now so it could be coming back off.  :whistle:

Its only on while they finish top dressing the estate.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2742 on: 01 September 2015, 10:46 »
Oil leak round the turbo is probably the yellow seal on the diverter valve not sealing correctly mine does that from new. When you remove the valve the seal is poor and i would not be suprised if they are all like that. A new diverter valve later and I have no oil leak.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2744 on: 13 September 2015, 11:34 »
Sold it.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=275452.new#new

Can't believe you have sold it, I am starting to look at changing mine now, MK7 with the PP, MK7R or the S3.... choices!!

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2745 on: 13 September 2015, 11:36 »
Oil leak round the turbo is probably the yellow seal on the diverter valve not sealing correctly mine does that from new. When you remove the valve the seal is poor and i would not be suprised if they are all like that. A new diverter valve later and I have no oil leak.

Getting it looked at tomorrow, hopefully its only something simple like that!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2746 on: 13 September 2015, 16:11 »
Sold it.

Can't believe you have sold it, I am starting to look at changing mine now, MK7 with the PP, MK7R or the S3.... choices!!

All good things come to an end, but it's now living the good life up in sunny Glasgow.  :cool:   So pleased it sold to an enthusiast and fellow forum member, and didn't end up some unloved trade-in.

Ooh, are you leaning towards any particular one of your shortlist?

Setting performance ride and handling aside, having sat in the cabin of an A3 for just over a week now I'm glad I went for Golf R as opposed to an S3 purely from a cabin perspective.  I'm in a basic TDI but the cabin's essentially the same as the S3 (apart from a premium trim upgrades), and is not entirely to my taste.  It's very subjective of course, and maybe it's because I've been conditioned due to years in Golfs, but to me the cabin design of the Golf is more 'right' than the Audi.

Be interesting to read your thoughts on each of your shortlisted cars as you go through the list.

Hope you get to the bottom of the oil leak and it turns out to be something relatively trivial and easily fixable.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2747 on: 14 September 2015, 20:03 »
Sold it.

All good things come to an end, but it's now living the good life up in sunny Glasgow.  :cool:   So pleased it sold to an enthusiast and fellow forum member, and didn't end up some unloved trade-in.

Ooh, are you leaning towards any particular one of your shortlist?

Setting performance ride and handling aside, having sat in the cabin of an A3 for just over a week now I'm glad I went for Golf R as opposed to an S3 purely from a cabin perspective.  I'm in a basic TDI but the cabin's essentially the same as the S3 (apart from a premium trim upgrades), and is not entirely to my taste.  It's very subjective of course, and maybe it's because I've been conditioned due to years in Golfs, but to me the cabin design of the Golf is more 'right' than the Audi.

Be interesting to read your thoughts on each of your shortlisted cars as you go through the list.

Hope you get to the bottom of the oil leak and it turns out to be something relatively trivial and easily fixable.

Well I don't know why i said the MK7 GTI, because we have one and i can't get the same car as my parents now can I, I will have to go better.

So it will waver more to the R (which my friend is still waiting for, he ordered it in January and still hasn't come due to his "options" Sunroof, DCC, and Dyna audio & DSG, not that difficult to bolt in i wouldn't have thought) so yeah the R purely because its better than my parents haha, but then do i want the same as my mate... suppose we can always have the shine off as he uses his about as much as I use mine.

And as for the S3, i had a A3 S Line as a courtesy car, and found the same as you the "centre console" is just to bland and boring everything controlled by the pop up screen and toggle wheel, may take some getting used to, may have to think long and hard about this, i would hope the S3 has a lot more going for it, I had a diesel A3 before my GTI and it was great, just not as much fun as the GTI.

As for the oil leak, it is in the garage to be looked at tomorrow, depending on what he finds it will be done by him or taken to the stealers for an extended warranty job, just hope the Remap is not the cause of it!

I will let you know the findings tomorrow!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2748 on: 14 September 2015, 21:25 »
Well I don't know why i said the MK7 GTI, because we have one and i can't get the same car as my parents now can I, I will have to go better.

So it will waver more to the R (which my friend is still waiting for, he ordered it in January and still hasn't come due to his "options" Sunroof, DCC, and Dyna audio & DSG, not that difficult to bolt in i wouldn't have thought) so yeah the R purely because its better than my parents haha, but then do i want the same as my mate... suppose we can always have the shine off as he uses his about as much as I use mine.

And as for the S3, i had a A3 S Line as a courtesy car, and found the same as you the "centre console" is just to bland and boring everything controlled by the pop up screen and toggle wheel, may take some getting used to, may have to think long and hard about this, i would hope the S3 has a lot more going for it, I had a diesel A3 before my GTI and it was great, just not as much fun as the GTI.

As for the oil leak, it is in the garage to be looked at tomorrow, depending on what he finds it will be done by him or taken to the stealers for an extended warranty job, just hope the Remap is not the cause of it!

I will let you know the findings tomorrow!

Haha, yes you’ve got to go better than your parents. One GTI on the driveway is enough, lol.

I agree, the S3 would have to have significant upgrades over the A3 to be in the running.  I've got used to the pop up screen and control wheel but prefer the VW touchscreen, even though it can be a bit buggy now and then.  If you test drive one, post your thoughts up.  Would be interested to hear them.

I briefly considered S3 when my R was taking so long, but didn’t get as far as test driving one, before deciding to wait it out for the R.  Will tell you if I made the right decision in a few weeks.  Hope the time goes quickly as I’m missing my Mk6 and bored with the A3 already.  Diesel does not suit me.

Your mate ordered his R at the same time as me, Jan. Did he spec the 19" Pretoria's?  As that's supposedly what has held many up.  Has his been built yet?  Mine was finally built last week and is on it’s way to Emden port to await shipping, so should see it in about 3-4 weeks.  It's been a long wait.

Fingers crossed that your oil leak and the map are not connected.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2749 on: 18 September 2015, 12:42 »
Missed it greatly!  Fed up with the Audi manual now.  Have abused it a little doing all the things I wouldn't do in my own car.

Have taken great pleasure in driving it through massive puddles and parking it slap bang in the middle of the crowded works car park, sandwiched tightly between two other cars and right under a tree.  When I returned to it 8 hours later, it was plastered in bird crap from roof to wheels!   Might not even wash it right until it's time to hand it back and then I will take it to the swirl inducing auto car wash! 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual