Author Topic: 12V battery question  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
12V battery question
« on: 23 November 2020, 10:06 »
Morning all.
I was hoping to get some advice on my battery. I don’t tend to use the car much during the week and I went to start it Saturday and it was sluggish to crank and there were numerous warnings on the dash.
It fired eventually and I took it for a spin to get some fuel. It cranked fine after that and all warnings have disappeared.
I worked out that it was probably almost 2 weeks that it had stood for.
The battery is the original; some horrid Korean ‘Sebang’ unit so it’s 3 yrs and 6 months old, so not particularly old but then again not the best battery VW could have used!

2 questions; Should I leave it as it is but start it/take it for a spin every few days?
Or,take it to the dealer and get them to take a look and maybe push them for warranty/goodwill contribution towards a replacement?
2017 mk7.5 Indium Grey Metallic GTI - 3 door - Manual - Art Velours - Brescia 19s - No fog lights!

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 12V battery question
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2020, 10:12 »
My 17 plate GTD had its battery replaced under warranty at just under 3 years old.

Which was nice, tbh I'd expect to replace the battery at about 3 years anyway.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2020, 10:14 »
4 years is the average life of the batteries so VW will not touch it.

Keep an eye on it as when they do fail what you are getting is the only warning. You will go to the car and it will not start even if it was fully charged the day before.

I upgraded mine to a Duracell AGM battery a couple of years ago as the OEM was enhanced flooded lead acid. Remember any battery you do get eventually will need coding to the car, 5minute job with OBDEleven or VCDS.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2020, 10:29 »
Sorry to slightly drift but do the batteries now come without any kind of cover?

I'm used to the sloid box thing in the MK5, now I've just got a piece of cloth on four sides and nothing covering the terminals leaving them exposed.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2020, 10:42 »
4 years is the average life of the batteries so VW will not touch it.

Keep an eye on it as when they do fail what you are getting is the only warning. You will go to the car and it will not start even if it was fully charged the day before.

I upgraded mine to a Duracell AGM battery a couple of years ago as the OEM was enhanced flooded lead acid. Remember any battery you do get eventually will need coding to the car, 5minute job with OBDEleven or VCDS.

Finglonga; why choose the AGM over what the OEM offering was? My limited understanding is that AGM is more spill proof but what's the issue with flooded lead acid?
If you had to buy a replacement now; have you any recommendations?

Next upgrade for the car will be an OBDeleven; it's pay day on Friday :grin:
2017 mk7.5 Indium Grey Metallic GTI - 3 door - Manual - Art Velours - Brescia 19s - No fog lights!

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2020, 10:46 »
I would just get the battery replaced. They can fail quite suddenly and leave you stranded. I think 3 and a half years is pretty good for stop start?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2020, 10:48 »
Sorry to slightly drift but do the batteries now come without any kind of cover?

I'm used to the sloid box thing in the MK5, now I've just got a piece of cloth on four sides and nothing covering the terminals leaving them exposed.

I think deleting the proper cover must've been another cost cutter for VW. Mine only has the fabric cover. I've seen on here that some people have bought a plastic cover from Ebay to complement the fabric.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2020, 10:51 »
OP - if you can get VW to fund a new battery then why not. I'm not convinced though after 3.5 years you'll get it. It is afterall a consumable with a finite life. For peace of mind given the amount of driving you do and that it is getting colder, I'd get a new one, with all the deals this week now seems a good time to do it.

No box on either my MK7 or 7.5 although the 7 battery was at least fully covered. You can buy aftermarket boxes though, personally I'm not bothered, I don't go under the bonnet that much and grew up with exposed battery terminals on cars, no fancy plastic boxes in those days :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2020, 11:24 »
To be honest; I didn't think I'd have any chance with a warranty claim. Sort of wondered if they might be kind enough to discount it slightly.....
It's just such a palaver phoning the dealer, booking it in, getting it to them, telling them not to wash it, going to collect it, arguing with them when they've washed it, that I think I'd rather buy a replacement battery and replace it myself.

Any recommendations?

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2020, 11:26 »
Thought the cloth cover was to keep the battery warm for easier cold starts, plus it’s cheaper