Author Topic: Tyre rotation  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Tyre rotation
« on: 22 November 2020, 23:06 »
While cleaning car today I checked my front and rear depths and it seems to be the ideal time to potentially swap the front and rears around, hopefully his will mean I'm ready for a full set in the new year.

Thing is I've never done this on the driveway using just a trolley jack and stand.

When my cars in at the dealers in January for the key-fob investigations I was going to ask if they will do it.

Has anyone had experience of this?  Is it something they would help with and if so would they charge or is (fingers-crossed) FoC?

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Tyre rotation
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2020, 23:32 »
My oem bs's lasted best part of 60k on the rears. With my second mk7 when I got the fronts replaced the first time i got them to swap the rears onto the front.

So about eighteen months in i had decent tyres all round.

Although to be fair, the decent rubber on the front makes a noticeable difference, the rear less so but at least it didn't cost anything.

The dealer would charge you no doubt though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2020, 07:47 »
I just did mine a couple of weeks ago on my drive way, i just utilised the standard jack that came with the car and the spare wheel. It wasn’t to bad it took about an hour in total and i gave all of the wheels a proper clean once i had them off of the car.
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2020, 09:09 »
I just did mine a couple of weeks ago on my drive way, i just utilised the standard jack that came with the car and the spare wheel. It wasn’t to bad it took about an hour in total and i gave all of the wheels a proper clean once i had them off of the car.

This. Very quick and easy but most tyre places will swap them around for you for a small fee if you don't want to.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2020, 10:11 »
I invested in a 2 tonne Sealey trolley jack and a hockey puck and did them myself.
The jack was around £40 but I'm sure I'll use it plenty of times. It's just safer than the 'widow maker' jack supplied with the car :evil:
2017 mk7.5 Indium Grey Metallic GTI - 3 door - Manual - Art Velours - Brescia 19s - No fog lights!

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2020, 10:24 »
I think it's the thought of having one whole side of my car up in the air with no wheels on just balanced on a couple of jacks.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Norwich7point5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2020, 10:35 »
I did mine one at a time. A bit of a ball ache but nice and safe!
2017 mk7.5 Indium Grey Metallic GTI - 3 door - Manual - Art Velours - Brescia 19s - No fog lights!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2020, 10:36 »
I think it's the thought of having one whole side of my car up in the air with no wheels on just balanced on a couple of jacks.

Jack STANDS

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2020, 10:41 »

No need as above. Take a wheel off and replace it with the spare and drop to the ground. Jack up the next corner remove the wheel and replace with the one already off the car. Replace the spare with the second removed wheel and repeat the other side. Never more than one corner off the ground and the time in the air is minimal. A trolley jack would be ideal but not entirely necessary.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2020, 10:44 »
i'm not sure hydraulic jacks are any safer than mechanical?
both have potential for widow making if you work under the car and don't use jack stands
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.