Author Topic: Winter tyres  (Read 7604 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Winter tyres
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2020, 19:32 »
... I am not sure a dedicated winter would drive as well.

There are performance winter tyres.

My winter tyres are Vredestein Wintrac Pro. In my opinion they drive better than my Bridgestone tyres below 7C and better than my Michelin PS4s below 3C on wet roads. The car is just better planted and less squirrely. Of course dry roads are a different matter.

There are now better performance winter tyres. Now I would probably be looking for Michelin Pilot Alpin 5.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2020, 19:51 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2020, 21:50 »
I live in the North East of Scotland and have had winter tyres on my cars for the last ~10 years.  Some observations.

Its true that winter tyres are 'better' in rain and general cold weather than summer tyres but to be honest the improvement for that aspect isn't worth buying a new set of tyres.

In the snow however winter tyres are absolutely amazing - its hard to describe just how much of a difference they make. 

Cheap winter tyres are just as good as expensive ones in the snow in my experience - but what sorts the men from the boys is when it gets warm.  Cheap winter tyres will get quite noticeable squirrely under cornering when the temperature rises but the pricier ones (Alpins and Continental TS860's) don't seem to degrade much if any when the weather gets better in my experience.

I run the continentals on my S4 and you wouldn't know they were winter tyres - fantastic but quite pricey.

On the golf I've been running the crossclimates for nearly 2 years.  The fronts ate up 20k miles before needing to be replaced.  Excellent all round tyre - very good summer and winter.  However, there is no doubt they are not as good as a proper winter tyre in the snow.  They will get you through but will struggle more on hills and the like than a proper winter would.

That said, I like them - very well suited to 99.99% of the British weather. 

2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2020, 23:19 »
Ceefeesh, rwleigh, how do you find the road noise of cc+ tyres on rough/concrete surfaces compared to your ps4 tyres? I find those surfaces are unbearably noisy on my gti with ps4 tyres?
I'm looking for quietest tyres and considering cc+ or Dunlop sport max x rt2, or conti premium contact 6.

Mcmaddy, paul70- not sure which summer tyres you have/had- how do the cc+ tyres compare noise wise on rough surfaces?

Thank you all

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #23 on: 23 November 2020, 07:33 »
Ceefeesh, rwleigh, how do you find the road noise of cc+ tyres on rough/concrete surfaces compared to your ps4 tyres? I find those surfaces are unbearably noisy on my gti with ps4 tyres?
I'm looking for quietest tyres and considering cc+ or Dunlop sport max x rt2, or conti premium contact 6.

Mcmaddy, paul70- not sure which summer tyres you have/had- how do the cc+ tyres compare noise wise on rough surfaces?

Thank you all

I do find the CC+ slightly more noisy than the PS4S but not enough to bother me, I think you can just hear them gripping the road...  :smiley:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 23 November 2020, 18:28 »

Thank you all
on new tarmac they are super quiet but you can hear them on rough roads. I think they are quieter than the Bridgestone S001s.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 23 November 2020, 20:47 »
Sorry they're not on yet, hopefully the week of 14th December.

Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 23 November 2020, 21:48 »
On the golf I've been running the crossclimates for nearly 2 years.  The fronts ate up 20k miles before needing to be replaced.  Excellent all round tyre - very good summer and winter.  However, there is no doubt they are not as good as a proper winter tyre in the snow.  They will get you through but will struggle more on hills and the like than a proper winter would.

Spot on summary
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 23 November 2020, 21:51 »

Thank you all
on new tarmac they are super quiet but you can hear them on rough roads. I think they are quieter than the Bridgestone S001s.

Agree with McMaddy, definitely quieter than the S001s
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #28 on: 23 November 2020, 23:19 »
I live in the North East of Scotland and have had winter tyres on my cars for the last ~10 years.  Some observations.

You do realise that 99.99% = 0.01% weather requiring winter tyres = about 1/3 of a day. :nerd: I didn't realise the weather in North East Scotland was so good. :tongue: I've told you a million times not to exaggerate! :grin:

In the past - we had Dunlop Ultragrip 7 on both cars. Not a good tyre at all - terrible in warm wet conditions. My wife has - for 6 years - had Continental TS850 as her winter tyre. Last winter we drove her car though the the Glens with untreated roads covered in snow and ice. The A3 - with 4 people - never spun or skidded going up and down some fairly steep hills. Those tyres are also good in warm conditions.

I live in the northern half of the UK. I would estimate there are usually 2-4 weeks every year when there is snow or ice on the roads (mostly ice). I work part-time and can avoiding going out in really poor weather. My wife does not have that luxury. I want to know that the 5-10% of the time she has to endure treacherous roads she has a tyre that won't let her down.

I see the Michelin Crossclimate 2 is due soon. I wonder will it have better snow and ice performance.

« Last Edit: 24 November 2020, 00:12 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 28 November 2020, 11:11 »
I can recommend a set of Michelin Crossclimate+ which I bought from Blackcircles when they had the 15% off flash sale on. You could run them all year round but i'll be going back to my Brescias with PS4S's in the spring.

I think your black wheels with cross climates look great. Can you tell me what make/type the wheels are? Thx
2019 7.5 P/P DSG