Author Topic: Help can't open car  (Read 8541 times)

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
Re: Help can't open car
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2020, 20:20 »
Thanks both, I reckon it is batteries as used one key exclusively and that lasted about 8 or 9 months, switched to the second key and that's lasted about the same.

sounds like your batteries last longer than your (and mine) footie team performs though!
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2020, 20:32 »
must have been a larger glass of wine with my tea than usual

I prefer a biscuit with my tea, but each to their own  :laugh:

With not driving anywhere these days I’m finding a glass of wine goes well with everything..  :rolleyes:

I’ve noticed, and ignored, the fact that  with the infrequent driving my car doesn’t open first time grabbing the handle , I have to press the button but then for the rest of the outing it behaves . Is that a battery thing or just because of lack of use. Must be a battery thing I guess as don’t remember it doing that when returning to it in an airport car park... but been so long memory might be letting me down.  :cry:

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2020, 21:29 »
Yeah mine does that after a day or two not being used, normally touch the handle2 or 4 times and it unlocks, also I think when the battery is flat you hold the keyfob where the ignition key normally goes in and you can then start the car

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2020, 06:52 »
So to avoid the minor inconvenience of reaching for a key to open a car you have to accept the inconvenience of keeping spare batteries in wallet and car, keeping the key in a special pouch and occasionally getting locked out.
Well at least VW can show customers a longer options list and sell more cars.
Whatever next, steering wheels that warm your hands?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2020, 08:42 »
I had keyless on a car for nearly 9 years and hated it, greater security risk - especially when the rear door actuators failed (which was a common fault on Discovery4’s) and you thought the car was locked, but the rear door(s) weren’t - great, so after locking, you had to keep the key out of range and check the doors - a great example of convenience🙄

In fairness, not heard of actuator failure being a VW issue?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2020, 09:29 »
Yep, that's keyless entry. The solution to a problem that I never had.
7.5 GTD

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2020, 14:52 »
Thanks both, I reckon it is batteries as used one key exclusively and that lasted about 8 or 9 months, switched to the second key and that's lasted about the same.

sounds like your batteries last longer than your (and mine) footie team performs though!

Ayyyy, another Town fan!

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2020, 16:48 »
Tractor Boys - best football chant ever when you boys play Norwich😂
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2020, 17:45 »
Daft question, does the Golf not warn you on the instrument cluster when the key battery is getting low?
The only reason I ask, is because our Seat Leon used to, but that wasn't keyless entry/start.
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2020, 18:06 »
Not that I am aware of... Or indeed noticed before mine failed, fortunately it was at work in a secure car park when mine would not lock the car!
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG