Poll

What age bracket are the Performance Golf owners in ?

17-25
2 (1.7%)
26-35
17 (14.8%)
36-45
28 (24.3%)
46-55
36 (31.3%)
Over 55
32 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll -Owners ages & a question  (Read 11230 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Owners ages & a question
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2020, 12:24 »
The subtlety of the Golf GTI has always meant it fits in with everyone, everywhere.

I'm 50, and have a Tig and Transporter Caravelle as main cars. Probably the sort of vehicles that I'm expected to have, but they are simply what I want to do the jobs I want them to. I've got no use for a new GTI, but if I did, would most probably have one... but un-modified.

I also have a Mk2 Golf GTI 16V, which could be seen as waaaaaaay more boy racerish that your Mk7's, but generally gets the approving nods from those who know.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2020, 12:28 »
57 and on my 5th GTI a 6th on the cards soon. I always thought the Golf regardless of varient was classless and never regarding it as ageist..

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2020, 12:47 »
Would have been much more fun for us all to guess other forum member's ages....!!

I got my first Mk7.5 in 2017 when I was still 38 and had 3 years in GTIs. Obviously gone sensible and gone over to the other side now I'm in my 40s  :grin:

Personally think the GTI suits all ages. I see loads of people on Instagram in their early 20s with GTIs (and heavily modded ones at that) so don't think it matters. A guy pulled up next to me a few weeks ago in Tesco in a 68 plate 245 GTI and we got chatting and he had loads of Golfs. He was in his mid-50s. Think the forums tend to attract drivers over 30 looking for advice etc rather than the younger ones.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2020, 12:49 »
I’m retired and have no problem driving a Polo GTI - a car that IMO will certainly have more of a reputation of being a young person’s car than the Golf GTI has.

Many of the ‘hot hatch‘ forums have a ‘how old are owners?’ discussion thread, and the age profile of forum members driving performance hatches covers a very wide range. I sometimes visit the Fiesta ST forum (no, I’m not a member, and I won’t be buying a Fiesta ST!) and there are quite a few mature owners on that forum of a car that’s undoubtedly considered to be a boy racer car.

IMO age is just a number, and if you want to drive a performance hatch that’s your choice. It’s your money you spend to buy the car of your choice, so you shouldn’t be put off by other’s comments.

I may be changing my car sometime in the next 12 months and any new replacement will be another performance hatch - probably from the VW stable.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2020, 13:14 »
That's really interesting guys, and to put things in perspective, despite what my bro' said, I have no intentions of getting rid of the GTI anytime soon. I think looking around is sometimes healthy as it makes you respect more what you already have.

TBH, asides from the shockingly high prices of the "other cars", and obviously the difference in size and shape, the one thing that crossed my mind what how little i'm actually missing out on. Sure there are some more modern bells and whistles on some newer cars and better connectivity, but overall, i was actually surprised at how little car engineering has actually moved on in the last 5-6 years (at least for internal combustion engine cars). Like I say, a lot I looked at have swisher toys, but nothing earth shattering (for the main). Coupled with that i still think the MK7.5 (and indeed the MK7), still looks very modern - don't even get me started on the MK8  :D :D

Also interesting to hear some ages as well. Some didn't surprise me, but some really did - thought I was the only old bugger on these forums !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2020, 13:22 »
I'm 35 and bought the MK7 GTi new when I was 28. Ive driven nothing but GTI's since passing my test.I do all my experimenting with the "family car". As others have already said, I think the GTi transcends the age bracket a lot of cars suffer from. However, I must admit the power is lost on some of the "seasoned" owners who wouldnt notice if it actually had the smaller petrol VAG unit under the bonnet. :whistle:
« Last Edit: 17 June 2020, 13:27 by Carbon VW »
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

dervy

« Reply #16 on: 17 June 2020, 13:25 »
I’m 59 and after having two “sensible” GTDs I bought a 7.5 R in 2017. In lapiz blue, black prets and door mirrors - and 90% tints. A much younger neighbour calls it my “rappers stealth wagon” - probably because my music was too loud! I still love the pops and bangs and the idea of 310bhp. Life is too short to drive a Kia with a trilby and tissue box on the rear parcel shelf, think I’ll get an RS3 next year😀

Offline pixelcellar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 17 June 2020, 14:50 »
Life is too short to drive a Kia with a trilby and tissue box on the rear parcel shelf, think I’ll get an RS3 next year😀

Love it, age is but a number for sure, do what you want to do, sod other people's opinions as to whether you're too old/young for that!
2024 - Current: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi TCR 286bhp, 5dr, Pure Grey, 7spd DSG, 19" Oz Ultraleggera HLT Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Side Assist, Rear View Camera
2020 - 2024: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 245bhp, 3dr, Deep Black Pearl, 6spd Manual, 19" Brescia Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Rear View Camera
2017 - 2020: 2017 Mk5 Polo GTi 190bhp, 3dr, Metallic Black, 6spd Manual, 17" Santiago Alloys

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 17 June 2020, 15:34 »
I think what you are seeing here is that with a Mk7/7.5 certainly up until recently, the crowd here were people who could afford a moderately pricey new/nearly new car.

Those tend to be a certain age.

If you looked at who owned a Mk5 or Mk6 GTI on here, you'd find a different demographic.

This has always been a pretty conservative (with a small c) forum in my opinion, when people have asked about "i want a very loud exhaust" or "has anyone fitted a whale tail spoiler?" they tended to be gently advised we aren't hooligans.... well, most of us aren't hooligans ;-)

For the record, I am fifty something ...I always thought i was old vs you lot, seems I'm just a yoof  :laugh:

And maybe nobody is a boy racer with a GTD  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vaporise

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 17 June 2020, 15:47 »
I'm 33, on my second GTI (they're very addictive...). Never had GTIs down as classic boy racer type hot hatches, in my opinion that would be Civic Type Rs, Saxo VTRs, 5GT Turbos (that's going back a bit!). I like the subtlety of how the GTI has evolved, absolutely the best all rounder I think. Have you seen the current gen Civic Type R?!
2016 GTI PP
RIP: 2007 1.6 Match, 2014 GTI PP