Author Topic: A new mk VI GTI or S3  (Read 9788 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
A new mk VI GTI or S3
« on: 10 June 2009, 17:01 »
a mk IV with just leather and 18inch wheels is only £1k less that an basic S3......looking at both and not sure what to do. Currently got a 05 GTI .....both have their pros/cons.....time for some thinking!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 11 June 2009, 14:23 by adw555 »

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: A new mk IV GTI or S3
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2009, 17:11 »
If it were me I'd be going for the Golf.

I used to drool over the S3 and it is a gorgeous looking car and no doubts performs beautifully too.

That was until the most obnoxious twit I've ever come across at my work got one.  That has totally soured the car for me and I wouldn't have one in case I was in anyway associated with him.  I'm not jumping on the Clarkson 'Audi drivers are cocks' bandwagon or suggesting he's representative of all S3 drivers but I cant help looking at an S3 and thinking about this tit  :sad:

From what I've heard from other GTI to S3 drivers the S3 is in many ways more accomplished but doesn't have any fun about it.  Never driven one so couldn't say myself.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2009, 17:15 »
Personally Id take the S3 just for the sake of a but of a change as MK6 is very similar.

Best advice I can give is to take both of them for a test drive. Some people have commented that the S3 can be a bit "boring" to drive compared to the GTI.  How they came to this conclusion I dont know as I'm yet to have the pleasure of driving a newer shape S3. I think they are lovely cars and would love one after the GTI (need to wait for them to come down in price).

I wouldn't take power into account as for ROUGHLY 1ks worth of mods a GTI will keep up with an S3 (but then the S3 has "4WD").

lmao @ ub7rm, you got issues mate :D :D

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2009, 18:14 »
GTI unless ur prepared to wait for the new S3 in Jan nxt year.

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2009, 18:20 »
New S3?? What all that about then??

If it were me I would have the GTi. My parents have a Sportback 2.0T S-Line and to be honest it's a bit too grown up for my liking. The GTi appeals to the younger set but the S3 and S-Line Audis seem to be driven by the 40's and over... (trying not to offend anyone!!).

The build quality of the Audi though is flawless. From what I have seen of the Mk6 it is now at the same build quality level.

The old S3 holds it's money well though over the Golf but whether the new models will follow suit is anyones guess!
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2009, 18:21 »
yea, I' m waiting for a manual mk IV to come into my dealer so I can try it. The S3 was pretty impressive, if a little laggy compared to my GTI up to 3k revs...but then I guess that's the bigger turbo. The interior is lovely though..a little nicer than the new GTI's.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2009, 18:22 »
New S3?!!!! ....they told me it will be well into 2011 before that happens...ahhh....do you have details ?????

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2009, 18:25 »
New S3?!!!! ....they told me it will be well into 2011 before that happens...ahhh....do you have details ?????

I don't think a new S3 is about to come out. The current A3 line up has only just been facelifted which means it will be around for another couple of years as you say...
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Jkctr

« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2009, 18:50 »
Why are you comparing a mk4 to an S3?

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2009, 19:02 »
Why are you comparing a mk4 to an S3?

Who is?  :huh:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate