Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1411 times)

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
A few questions
« on: 25 April 2011, 17:47 »
I have a few questions about wax and convertable roof maintaince.

OK wax one first.... I use meguairs 16# which I apply by hand with thin layers etc etc. The wax dried white which it claims not to do then it was a ball breaking nightmare to remove  :undecided:

Which makes me think I did something wrong??

Im planning on buying a 4" pad (4" to fit in wax tin :wink:) for my DA to apply it next time, will that make a difference? Things just seem to go on better using a DA dont they?

Now for my roof question.... I wash my fabric roof everytime I wash my car, pretty much once a week and I use 303 cleaner then I always waterproof it with 303 waterproofer but is that necessary? Or will it still be waterproof or will the 303 cleaner remove the waterproofer?
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 17:52 by JDM82 »
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2011, 19:18 »
Hi mate, first mistake is applying megs 16 by hand, you'll use far more product applying by hand which is why you found it a pain to remove plus this wax isnt designed to be used by hand,this wax its quite high in solvents so not good for your skin for one and this wax must be applyed very very thin which an applicator is best for this,
applying it via DA is not good either as this will dry the wax out faster causing it to bake on making it a pain to remove.
one swipe with an applicator is enough wax to do pretty much one half of an average sized hatchback etc and doesnt need alot of curing time if you put it on uber thin.

regarding your roof!!! once you've cleaned with 303 cleaner and applyed the waterproofer you should only need to blow the dust off when you wash and at most use a ph neutral shampoo to wash over it if needed which should bring back evident beading if the waterproofer is doing its job, the 303 cleaner may strip the waterproofer so have a read on the bottle which should advise how best to use there products.

hope this helps mate

Dan
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline JDM82

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2011, 19:48 »
Cheers Dan...... I thought I was putting it on uber thin but now thinking back I must of dipped my hand in the tin a hundred times so Ive put way too much on..... Thanks too for saving me money, I was just about to buy a smaller pad to apply the wax so cheers for that.... Thankyou for the advice mate  :wink:
GOLF GTi - The legendary hot hatch

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2011, 23:19 »
no probs ,

you literally need a thin greasy smear over the panel, one small twist of your applicator in the tin should be enough to do what ive said above.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!