Author Topic: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!  (Read 60509 times)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: DanChave's Flash Red GTI 16V. Engine strip, clean and paint!
« Reply #180 on: 10 January 2013, 20:23 »
That was lucky!   :grin:

Hopefully you can get it sorted now mate. Does Dan not have VCDS then?

The accident I'm referring to is the one where my Corrado 16v was written off thanks to a nice fellow in a Range Rover deciding he doesn't do stopping for traffic lights on Outland/Tavistock road. We were waiting at the lights, and he ploughed into the back of the bloke behind me, who hit me, I hit the bloke in front, and he hit a woman in front of him! It was a pretty big shunt tbf! He was travelling in excess of 40mph in that great big car! As a result, I have chips to two vertebrae, and an acute fracture of one. Still have trouble with it now, and I'm not exaggerating it for a claim either! :sad:
I sold the car on to Dan at DDS for stripping. It still drove ok, but front and rear end were smashed in, and quarter panels were buckled so it was beyond saving.  :sad:

Anyway, onwards and upwards and all that!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #181 on: 10 January 2013, 20:44 »
That was lucky!   :grin:

Hopefully you can get it sorted now mate. Does Dan not have VCDS then?

The accident I'm referring to is the one where my Corrado 16v was written off thanks to a nice fellow in a Range Rover deciding he doesn't do stopping for traffic lights on Outland/Tavistock road. We were waiting at the lights, and he ploughed into the back of the bloke behind me, who hit me, I hit the bloke in front, and he hit a woman in front of him! It was a pretty big shunt tbf! He was travelling in excess of 40mph in that great big car! As a result, I have chips to two vertebrae, and an acute fracture of one. Still have trouble with it now, and I'm not exaggerating it for a claim either! :sad:
I sold the car on to Dan at DDS for stripping. It still drove ok, but front and rear end were smashed in, and quarter panels were buckled so it was beyond saving.  :sad:

Anyway, onwards and upwards and all that!

Awh that savage, I knew you sold the car to Dan but I didn't realise it was that bad of a smash! Sorry to heat about what happened but I'm glad your on them mend :) I have sent him a message about it but j haven't had a reply yet. Although I have spoke to a guy off UKMKIV who should be able to come down in the next couple of days :)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #182 on: 10 January 2013, 21:53 »
Yeah there was a guy with a mk4 20vt in Devonport that offered to hook mine up. Sure there will be someone on SWDubs that can help you out if need be.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #183 on: 10 January 2013, 23:03 »
So does this mean you've put your engine bay back together? And pics?  :whistle:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #184 on: 11 January 2013, 07:53 »
It is indeed all back together! No pics as of yet as half the loom is unwrapped and I won't be wrapping it back up until the engine is properly running. There is plenty to do still, the gearbox is next, I have already started collecting all the bolts to replace the old ones, and whilst its out I will be getting the flywheel lightened and balanced :) there is also loads of other smaller jobs that I may do in between, like relocating the PAS fluid bottle, battery, etc, deleting the carbon canister and pump, ripping out the ABS, loom tuck, subframe, front support and wishbones refurbished, the list goes on.......... But for now I just want to get it back on the road and enjoy it for a bit and do some little bits! But yeah, pics soon I hope :)

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #185 on: 11 January 2013, 20:42 »
So, got the new ECU coded to the immobilizer, the engine still won't idle, but at least I don't have a MAP sensor fault anymore! There is now voltage at the ISV plug and BOTH the ISVs show 4ohms resistance, which should mean they work. However, neither make any difference to the running if the car. If I slightly pul out the ISV from the bung, and manually control the amount of air going into the inlet I can get the car to idle, so I'm back down to DDS tomorrow to get a handfull of ISVs to try!

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #186 on: 11 January 2013, 22:11 »
Are all your vacuum lines good? What's happening g at idle?

Did car run ok before stripdown?

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #187 on: 11 January 2013, 22:52 »
All vac line have been replaced with silicone 3mm ID lines, plus I have checked the small section inside the ECU. Basically, I turn the ignition and the engine fires up but then will stall straight away unless I keep the throttle open. Then it's fine and free revving until I take my foot off the accelerator pedal, then the engine cuts out again!

The engine didn't do this prior to being stripped down, however it did suffer with stuttering and stalling when reaching temp. From what I have read, both these problems are symptomatic of a stuck ISV either stuck closed (not enough air = stalling when cold) or stuck open (too much air = stalling when hot) what do you think man?

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #188 on: 12 January 2013, 00:12 »
Not necessarily. Have you checked temp sender? Clean the isv with carb cleaner. It should buzz with ignition on I think. When warming up coolant temp sender controls mixture and it should add more fuel to aid cold running.

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #189 on: 12 January 2013, 08:48 »
The temp sensor has also been replaced, albeit with a GSF item. (Before I knew of TPS) I have used GSF temp sensors on previous mk3's and they have been fine. The oringinal ISV used to buzz, however, thinking it was stuck open and causing the stalling at high temp, I ran a live and earth straight from the battery, try and free it, and I could hear it clicking in and out, but it never buzzed since, so I think I fried that one :/ the second one was bought from eBay and has never buzzed either. I have read though, it doesn't necessarily have to make a buzzing you can hear to be working, and ISVs taken straight from working cars won't necessarily work either! One guy I spoke to said he tried FOUR different ISVs, all supposedly working, and only one worked in his car even though two worked in another car he tried them in!