Author Topic: Golf R in the flesh  (Read 17515 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Golf R in the flesh
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2021, 20:12 »
Of the three available colours, if I was buying one I’d get it in white - IMO the easiest of the three colour options to maintain, and it’s the free colour (what does ‘Additional costs may apply’ mean though if you choose white?). But hey, it’s good we don’t all like the same things. 

It does need the 19” Estoril alloys though. Standard wheels are :sick:; in my opinion of course.

Spot on about the alloys.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2021, 21:51 »
It does need the 19” Estoril alloys though. Standard wheels are :sick:; in my opinion of course.

I much prefer the standard alloys. :whistle:

Volkswizard said something about having a bad experience with Lapiz blue and white being lower maintenance. :undecided:
« Last Edit: 26 January 2021, 21:55 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2021, 22:01 »

Volkswizard said something about having a bad experience with Lapiz blue and white being lower maintenance. :undecided:

Mine is Lapiz and yes it’s absolutely lovely. Beautiful colour and probably my favourite I’ve ever had but it’s super soft and so easy to mark. Perhaps that says more about modern paints than Lapiz though.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2021, 22:08 »

Volkswizard said something about having a bad experience with Lapiz blue. Also, white being lower maintenance. :undecided:

It may have been how easily it is to unintentionally inflict swirls into Lapiz Blue paintwork, unless it gets washed using a very careful safe washing technique. Same also applies to any other dark coloured paint such as Deep Black Pearl. White paintwork will also suffer from swirling without a safe wash technique being used, but it will be far less visible. Hard water spotting will also be more of an issue on Lapiz and DBP than it will on White.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2021, 07:34 »
Volkswizard had a Mk7 R in Lapiz Blue (2014 I think?) and had some problems with it - check out his channel. Some of the problems related to the paintwork around the front of the car. From his latest video, I don't think he necessarily dislikes LB as a colour, more that it reminds him of his previous car and the problems he had with it. If you discount LB, you have black or white and black is possibly the worst colour for showing up scratches and marks.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2021, 10:27 »
For me it would be Lapiz Blue and only that if I was going for R. but yes there has been plenty written about the LB paint quality which puts people off and I think you are right Volkswizard had issues with his 2014 car and probably why he was(would be) keen to stick to white.

As for standard alloys, im not really a fan either but want to see they in the metal before I condemn them totally. I do feel they look too close to existing MK 8 wheel choices...but if you were looking for stealth car, that would work in your favour.

I will wait for lockdown and then maybe a tour of VW dealers to find a few to look at.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2021, 10:42 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPJw_ENkHk&t=14s

ha ha thanks @kmpowell yes I watched this the other night... I am no where near Wrexham so will have to make do with this video for timebeing.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2021, 10:43 »
Lapiz Blue or black is the only way forward

MK7 GTi

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2021, 13:10 »
https://youtu.be/8e_IicpT664

I don't think this has been posted here yet...
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver