Author Topic: Cluster lights dim?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Cluster lights dim?
« on: 07 December 2018, 07:24 »
I noticed the cluster lights are dimmer than they used to be. Yes I know there's a dimmer control... They still adjust but with it cranked up and you can barely tell their lit up in daylight. At night they used to dazzle, but it's as if the dimmer is at minimum.
Any ideas peeps?

Build thread clicky

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Cluster lights dim?
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2018, 15:41 »
Dunno if this will help you, but it worked for me. My dimmer had the same symptons, so I popped it out and had a look at the connections...they looked quite grungy, so I disconnected, sprayed some contact cleaner, blew it off after about 10 seconds and re connected. Gave it all a good dose of WD40, wiped off the excess and refitted.

Now they work fine.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2018, 08:48 »
Dunno if this will help you, but it worked for me. My dimmer had the same symptons, so I popped it out and had a look at the connections...they looked quite grungy, so I disconnected, sprayed some contact cleaner, blew it off after about 10 seconds and re connected. Gave it all a good dose of WD40, wiped off the excess and refitted.

Now they work fine.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure but it was going to be my first port of call. Good to know its the likely candidate!
Was it the connection pins to the loom, or the switch innards that you cleaned?

Build thread clicky

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2018, 19:10 »
I gave it all a good dousing with the contact cleaner, shook it around for a bit and then blew it all off fairly quickly...don't leave the cleaner on too long because some brands can do nasty things to plastic if over exposed. It won't hurt the metal bits, but don't take a chance with the plastic. The WD40 goes some way to stop any harmful reactions as well as providing a bit of internal lubrication.

It's a good place to start anyway...if it doesn't cure the problem, start tracing wired connections to the cluster and earth points.

Good luck.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.