Author Topic: Peeling Lacquer  (Read 1050 times)

Offline wildturkey

• Not said much yet
Peeling Lacquer
« on: 10 March 2010, 17:03 »
Afternoon All

Looks lke the lacquer on my mk 4 is peeling, large patch 2 x 3 inches on back under passenger window and a few small dots from stones on the bonnet.

Can these be sanded back so that they are not as obvious, the peeling seams to have stopped but the edge is fairly obvious?  And again could this be repeated on the boonnet, or is there a product out there that would help without using machine polishing?

Cheers

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Peeling Lacquer
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2010, 02:32 »
think this should be in the cosmetic matter forum :wink:

if your clearcote has failed in said areas you will have to get the whole panel re-laquered, you wont be able to rub it down and hide it unfortunatly, id start looking around for quotes dude, sorry to be the barer of bad news but i had this problem on my mk3 gti on the tailgate and on the doors and was told by a very experienced sprayer this exact info:(
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline wildturkey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2010, 19:30 »
Thanks - I think

On a 10 year old car I'm not too bothered but it does spoil the appearance a little and would have been nice to clear up.....

Cheers

tisme

« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2010, 22:28 »
Well I had some on the tailgate of my mk2 I sanded it with some ultra fine wet and dry (using it very wet) after used some polishing compound and it was invisible. Took a fair bit of time but worth a go.