Author Topic: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?  (Read 11758 times)

Online Watts

• Forum addict
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« Reply #51 on: 12 January 2019, 00:00 »
If you're sticking with OEM alloys it has to be Belvedere. They're not the best looking alloys that award goes to 19" Prets or Brescia but nothing gets close to the performance of the Belvedere and tbh there's not many aftermarket alloys that are lighter either.

I've always changed the wheels on my car's but never considered the weight of a wheel and solely gone for the best looking wheels. Never again. Performance over looks everytime from now on.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 12 January 2019, 00:04 »

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 12 January 2019, 13:49 »
If you're sticking with OEM alloys it has to be Belvedere. They're not the best looking alloys that award goes to 19" Prets or Brescia but nothing gets close to the performance of the Belvedere and tbh there's not many aftermarket alloys that are lighter either.

I've always changed the wheels on my car's but never considered the weight of a wheel and solely gone for the best looking wheels. Never again. Performance over looks everytime from now on.

I think you may find a fair few on here disagreeing with you on one thing above, the Belvedere is quite popular on the looks front too! I wouldn't mind a set :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 12 January 2019, 14:08 »
They're not easy to find, especially in the UK. As most will know I bought mine from Holland.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 12 January 2019, 15:09 »
I like the Belvedere design close up, but on the car they look lost so Brescias every time for me as I'm not bothered about how much they weigh.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #56 on: 13 January 2019, 11:29 »
Agree about the belvedere wheels TurboTrev. I quite like the idea of a set of Pretoria reps on my Gti, a great looking wheel and gives a bit of a CS look.
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #57 on: 13 January 2019, 11:50 »
I don't personally care for the Brescias . Way too much going on in their design.
Belvedere all the way for me.
Just get the car lowered :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 13 January 2019, 12:25 »
I don't personally care for the Brescias . Way too much going on in their design.
Belvedere all the way for me.
Just get the car lowered :laugh:

Agreed - I liked the Brescia wheel when it was previewed on the CS but certainly wouldn’t spec it having seen it in the flash.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #59 on: 13 January 2019, 12:31 »
Well i'm going to be very boring and suggest sticking with OEM. Something like these;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-VOLKSWAGEN-PRETORIA-18-ALLOY-WHEEL-SET-OF-4-GLOSS-BLACK-/323109657825

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-VOLKSWAGEN-PRETORIA-18-ALLOY-WHEEL-SET-OF-4-STERLING-SILVER/323106273243?hash=item4b3aa277db%3Ag%3ATlkAAOSwd8FamFYe&LH_ItemCondition=3

Or save even more money and get your original wheels refurbed and looking back to their former glory.

That said, I do quite like the Borbet FF1 as far as aftermarket wheels go.

Really like the Borbets Guzzle. Much prefer black minimal looking wheels. Also like that they would show off the red callipers very nicely. They look easy to clean too  :wink:
I quite fancied a wheel with a red pinstripe, however the Sevillas are just too fussy. I like the Gloss Black Petorias - look a bit easy to kerb though?
I'm gonna mooch on it for a few days - I'm heavily leaning towards these Borbets.
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.