Author Topic: Hey! I have a series of issues I need help with!  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Zoeandmygolf

• Just got here
Hey! I have a series of issues I need help with!
« on: 26 August 2017, 00:17 »
Hello all, my names zoe and I'm new here! hoping some knowledgable kind people will be able to help on my 'car rehabilitation quest!' Mk4 petrol
*full details further on down!*

My car had been hard to start and had been running funny at the beginning of journeys for quite a while then one day the car wouldn't start at all, I replaced the battery and the ignition coil pack, checked the spark plugs, ht leads, fuses, all fine.

Towed the car to the garage (breaking the tow rope on the way, oh the joy)

Garage man (Iain!) put it on the vag com thing and each time he deleted the codes different ones would show they were always a bit random they never stayed the same!. A selection of the codes he wrote down were
p0321 p0420 p1444 p1545 p1570 p1602 p1348 p1349 apparently the ecu was saying I needed to replace the ignition coil pack but like I said I had already done that!
Iain said I need a new ecu but the problem could also be in the wiring loom annnnd my key doesn't have a chip and the light on the dash (key with car) apparently stays on longer than it should because the key I have is the spare not the one with the chip?....
Anyway my problems have got so much worse because..... I LOST MY BLIMMING KEY! So I have a car that doesn't work that I'm now locked out of! FML

Questions....
If I break in and change the locks including the ignition (obviously!) would I need to change the ECU?

If I change the ecu do I need to remap it?

Is it worth changing the ecu knowing my detailed story? Can this car be saved?!
What's wrong with it?! :o

If you got to the end thank you! And have a great evening!
Zoe and my broken mk4 golf 1.4

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Hey! I have a series of issues I need help with!
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2017, 10:30 »
You have a few options you can either get new keys and locks and have someone code it to your ecu or if you get an ecu with the lock set have it coded to your car, if it was me I would just buy another mk4 as they are cheap these days

Offline Zoeandmygolf

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2017, 11:22 »
Already got one! 1.9 tdi hurrah! I was going to sell it for spares after Iain gave his opinion on what was wrong with it but then I lost the one and only key! So that's the only reason I was going to attempt to fix it as I didn't think any one would buy a car with the steering lock on and no key! I found a lock set and ecu on eBay for £50 but then I've got the cost of getting the parts put on and the ecu mapped to my car..... and I'm not even sure if it's the right one as I can't check the existing ecu!
So are u saying just scrap it and be done with it?! In all honesty the body work is absolute crap anyway!

Added extra question for my new car as I've never had a car with a turbo or a diesel! When I pull out of a junction my car feels like I'm creeping out until I hit 2000rpm the turbo kicks in and suddenly I'm off! Is that normal?! And on one occasion I nearly choked a cyclist with the amount of black smoke that came out of the exhaust after pulling away!! Ooops I still feel so guilty!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2017, 11:25 »
Someone might buy it for spare parts or you could use some of them for your new car  :smiley: try get the tdi checked for fault codes and a new diesel filter fitted the turbo doesn't kick in till about 2000rpm
« Last Edit: 26 August 2017, 11:28 by barrym381 »

Offline Zoeandmygolf

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2017, 14:11 »
Yeh knew that bit, just didn't know if it was normal to pull out as slow as it does, my dads got the same car as me so he's inisiting I drive his to see the difference! Think he just wants to show off actually!! The alloys have been ear marked for donation already ;)
 my mechanic told me not to get another golf (he doesn't like them?!) so I'm scared to ask him to look for faults on my 'new' golf lol I'm going to get a massive eye roll!!

I just can't stop being annoyed with myself about loosing the frigging key! As I have no where secure to park it once I've broken in to take anything worth while off, suppose I should just cross my fingers and hope no-one.... wait I don't have a key what's the worst that can happen to a non starter?!! lol

Thank you so much for your help!! Enjoy ur bank holiday!!!!

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2017, 16:44 »
He doesn't like Golfs?....find another mechanic!

And.....go back and find that bl**dy key.   :wink:

As mentioned by barrym381, a new fuel filter and while you're at it, air filter....go give it a good hard run for 50-60 miles and I'll bet you'll notice a difference.

Good luck.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2017, 16:53 »
Depending where you are there might be a local member that can give the car a scan for fault codes  :smiley:

Offline Zoeandmygolf

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2017, 19:38 »
Ive just checked the small amount of paper work I got with the car and it had a new fuel filter in Jan 17 and in June 17 it had a new oil filter and air filter, and I didn't stick to the speed limits on the way back from London so fair to say It's had a 'hard run' lol but actually there is another little niggle.......
my steering wheel feels like it needs more steering fluid but I've checked and it's fine? Also the previous owner lowered the car don't know if that means anything?!
I'm seriously angry with myself for loosing that key!! :'( that's the only reason why I'm bothering to ask about the poorly car! I'm going to phone the scrappy tomorrow because what ever happens I still need to break into my car to rescue all my stuff and then secure it after, urgh!! *swear words* £££

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2017, 21:20 »
OK...you've given in and that's your choice. My Mk4 1.9 has had it's share of problems and I've managed to sort them without spending a single penny....just by asking questions. Tricky little beasts, these Golfs.   :laugh:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Zoeandmygolf

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2017, 19:16 »
This is the third one I've had so it's supposed to be lucky! In all honesty I've had it just over a week now and I'm not sure I'm feeling it just yet!! lol I'm picky!
But yeah the forums are great! I've got to fix the window and drivers lock on my 1.9 in the next couple of days so I'm sure I will be looking at all the posts about that if I get stuck! It's all fun and games though :D well as long as it doesn't start raining! Lol