Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171346 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #150 on: 05 April 2019, 00:40 »
Great review of the Tesla 3 below.
With VW saying the Mk8 will have a digital interior with very few buttons I wonder if it's heading in the same direction as this Tesla.
The Tesla has fantastic tech but I'm not sure I like the idea of using a touchscreen for everything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kbulCM90w8w

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #151 on: 05 April 2019, 08:41 »
With VW saying the Mk8 will have a digital interior with very few buttons I wonder if it's heading in the same direction as this Tesla.
The Tesla has fantastic tech but I'm not sure I like the idea of using a touchscreen for everything.

Tesla has never really had any buttons so this isn't new for them. Buttons = possible rattles which is a no-no on a fully electric car.

The Golf is most likely to follow other VAG group cars like the new A6/A8 and Tourag (below) which have gotten rid of lots of buttons but still have some buttons for main functions. They know who their customers are so it can't be too radical. Similar to how the 911 is for Porsche.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #152 on: 05 April 2019, 10:31 »

Tesla has never really had any buttons so this isn't new for them. Buttons = possible rattles which is a no-no on a fully electric car.

The Golf is most likely to follow other VAG group cars like the new A6/A8 and Tourag (below) which have gotten rid of lots of buttons but still have some buttons for main functions. They know who their customers are so it can't be too radical. Similar to how the 911 is for Porsche.

Are the air vents below the centre screen, behind the DSG selector? Thats gonna get hot with heater on full and you want use the selector  :whistle:

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #153 on: 05 April 2019, 10:46 »
Looks good I think hopefully it’s similar to that.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #154 on: 05 April 2019, 11:19 »
Not to mention the massive air vent above the glove box. Very Audi A1-esque.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #155 on: 05 April 2019, 17:03 »
Its definitely going to be something similar to that.

Our friendly VW dealer Evo talked about the panoramic MIB unit (as an option) and both he and VW themselves talked about switches being a thing of the past too. Evo had seen the Mk8 too...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #156 on: 26 April 2019, 06:51 »
Evo article suggesting hybrid is back on for GTi and R and they should appear at the end of 2019

Be interesting to see what the performance models look like but I honestly think they've made a mess. Front lights look too low down and overall shape looks odd. Almost wedge-shaped.

We’ll see the first production Mk8 Golfs later this year, with deliveries expected by the end of the year. The GTI and R models are expected to appear towards the end of 2019 or early 2020, where they’ll have to deal with the next Focus ST, not to mention in-house options like the Skoda Octavia vRS and next Cupra Leon.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/21122/all-new-volkswagen-golf-spied-undisguised-life-for-the-focus-is-about-to-get?_mout=1&utm_campaign=evo_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
« Last Edit: 26 April 2019, 09:01 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #157 on: 26 April 2019, 09:20 »
I'm fairly sure that a performance trimmed one will look quite a lot better - you can see that in the Mk7.

On the other hand the headlights turn down at the outside edge, whereas the Mk7 has inward slanted lights (and I'm just staring out the window at mine at the same time).... the Mk7's light design is more aggressive and with poise.

The low droopy lights make it look like the car has been sat on and squashed.

Mind you, it looks less bad on the yellow one in those photos.

You can see how the much bigger rear end is going to create more boot space though.

Nope, clicking the photos I really don't like the front end with those lights. I know why they have done it, but I still don't like it.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #158 on: 26 April 2019, 10:17 »
The usual thinking would be that the MK 7 is at the end of its life cycle and the rest of the car world is overtaking it, much like where the MK 6 was, as that platform and drive was starting to become compromised in face of the competition, but think the MK 7 is still setting the curve.

The new A35 AMG for example, is a decent stab at hitting this demographic but is it any more capable than the MK7 as newly designed car? Of course there is the interior tech that is pushing that curve but for some, like me, its pushed acceptability, and hence I backed off my mild flirtation with the A35 AMG

Most head to head tests, the battle is always close and its usual subtle subjective preferences that split the cars, but the 5 year old Golf is still punching its weight against the young pretenders.

Be interesting to see how the new FWD BMW I series fairs in competition.

From what understand there will be some mild uplift on the MQB platform and most of the innovation would be on the technology and more semi and autonomous functions, which actually fills me with a little dread not excitement as its the path to governed driving that nanny state would love. - ok, maybe not that far just yet, but the MK 8 is another step.

Basically the MK 8 (now the hybrid has been dumped) will be mildly evolutionary in style and drive and the revolution will come in the tech and is that truly needed and wanted?

So the MK 7 is more than relevant still, in fact it might be the last bastion of what a performance Golf should be (particularly the clubsport) and I am personally very happy that going to be getting the TCR and if the MK8 goes as suspects, then that maybe the first time kept a car as a keeper.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #159 on: 26 April 2019, 10:26 »
Predictions, both in terms of looks and power output, are always woefully inaccurate. Apparently the gti will get 300bhp if you believe the motoring press. Hilarious. (Must make sure I delete this if it actually  happens).  :grin:

It's got 290  :wink: so you can just about keep this post in place  :grin:
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC