Author Topic: 1.8 turbo engine differences???  (Read 24641 times)

Offline bloo

• Not said much yet
1.8 turbo engine differences???
« on: 27 May 2006, 21:03 »
im looking into buying a mk4 1.8 turbo a few people have told me they did a couple of different engines for them i was wondering if some one could tell me which is the best one to go for and how to tell them apart?? thanks in advance guys!!

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Stu-1.8T

• Here all the time
  • Quit your Jibba Jabba
Re: 1.8 turbo engine differences???
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2006, 22:15 »
I'm not an expert on this subject by any means, so have a search under Engine codes.

From memory I think my 2001 150 bhp turbo has an engine code that starts AUM and has a slightly better Turbo (Ko3 Sport?) than earlier models and is DBW (drive by wire throttle) so can be re-mapped up to around 220bhp

AUQ engines were in the 180bhp Anniversary models and also some newer standard Turbo's

You can find the engine codes in the boot near the spare wheel and should be printed somewhere in the VW handbook with the car.

Hope that helps, and i'm pretty confident that i have been fairly accurate??

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2006, 10:52 »
With regards to the best one, if you look at my link above, the later 2 engines will re-map to the highest amount from standard, & the first one the least amount.

It's generally considered that the earlier (AGU) is the strongest lump & will take to the biggest mods better than it's successors. ie. 350+ bhp.

It all depends how much you've got to spend on the car, how far you want to mod it or are you going to leave it standard etc.

If your a standard man, & you want the quickest, then go for the 180 (AUQ).

Or if you're looking for 220bhp for an extra £420ish (from a Revo 're-map'), then go for either the AUM 150 or AUQ 180, as they will both re-map to the same power. (225ish bhp) :smiley:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline bloo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2006, 20:43 »
With regards to the best one, if you look at my link above, the later 2 engines will re-map to the highest amount from standard, & the first one the least amount.

It's generally considered that the earlier (AGU) is the strongest lump & will take to the biggest mods better than it's successors. ie. 350+ bhp.

It all depends how much you've got to spend on the car, how far you want to mod it or are you going to leave it standard etc.

If your a standard man, & you want the quickest, then go for the 180 (AUQ).

Or if you're looking for 220bhp for an extra £420ish (from a Revo 're-map'), then go for either the AUM 150 or AUQ 180, as they will both re-map to the same power. (225ish bhp) :smiley:
 cheers for the info ivor!! i cant afford a 180 bhp one!! only got 6-7k to spend when did they start making the the aum lump??

Offline boxxer1973

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2006, 21:06 »
late 1999/2000

Offline GTI-Rye

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2006, 12:32 »
Hey Ppl,  :wink:

Im still abit unsure with this... so if i was to say that i am looking for a Golf GTI 1.8T 20v 150  :cool:

And that i was going to remap it, ss exhaust and air filter..

a) which would be the best engine to go for
b) is there a certain way of knowing which engine is in which year or is it just hit an miss

I understand that AUM will remap to 220-230 bhp (same as the 180 AUQ engine) but the AGU is a stronger block ??

c) should i go for the AUM because i want more power.... ?
d) what is the difference between the AUM and AUQ apart from the obvious 30 bhp.

Also what does DRW - Drive-By-Wire mean ?

Hope someone can help  :smiley:

Regards,
Ryan  :wink:

!! MkIV VW GoLf GTI 20v TuRbO 3Dr !!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2006, 13:30 »
a) go for the latest engine within your budget
b) the 3 letter engine code is stamped into a tag on the left hand side of the head, take the plastic engine cover off to see it.

The AGU is not a stronger block, it just has a larger ported head than the other 1.8T engines. The only 20v's with stronger internals are found in audi TT 225's, S3's and some (late ones ?) Ibizas. From memory these have stronger rods and bigger wrist pins.
DBW = drive by wire, no throttle cable.
NDBW = .. well, work it out :wink:

c) AUM has VVT, so sure, go for it. AGU would be more the choice if you were going to go BIG turbo.
d) as far as i know its just different mapping in the ECU.

Offline GTI-Rye

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2006, 14:57 »
Thanks for that topher spot on  :wink:

But, i dont think i will be goin for the big turbo... maybe in few years time but its not an option for me at the moment. All i will be doing, is ss exhaust (de-cat maybe  :undecided:) Air filter and re-map. Plus few other things..... i want to get it up to about 250bhp that bout it for now..

So would i be best with a AUM or a AGU for this ? (forgettting about the big turbo  :smiley:)

Regards
Ryan  :wink:

!! MkIV VW GoLf GTI 20v TuRbO 3Dr !!

Offline >>Mart<<

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2006, 06:39 »
the agu engine is stronger so should be able to handle more power

but if you are only looking for around 250bhp the later aum should do the job fine