Author Topic: New springs for MK1 Stock Hatch  (Read 2819 times)

Fred Flintstone

New springs for MK1 Stock Hatch
« on: 26 May 2005, 23:09 »
We took delivery of our new springs today.  They are mega hard.  I weigh 15 stone and when I stood on the rear coil it did not even move.  Well all the experts said go hard and we have. Lets hope they are right and we don't end up with an undrivable car!

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: New springs for MK1 Stock Hatch
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 14:12 »
 :grin:

what poundage are they then? same front and rear?

Fred Flintstone2

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 17:50 »
The backs are 650lbs and the fronts are 350lbs.
Who needs anti roll bars!!!

Offline Splinter

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 19:36 »
Don't worry, they sound about right, should be interesting to here what you think of them, reckon you'll get round those corners as quick as the 205's now! I'd have even gone another 100lbs stiffer on the front! Definatley don't go any stiffer at the back though.

They need to be well solid for circuit racing. Are you uprating the anti-roll too?
" Do it today, Don't wait until tomorrow "

Fred Flintstone2

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2005, 20:43 »
Actually I know this sounds stupid, but we may go softer on the front!!!
It is all depending on our test session but Aurok who have been doing our setups really are experts.  They are currently setting up Clio Cup racers, and several Brit cars.  They also have experience with a number of touring car teams. Their opinion is we have gone too hard and we have gone against their advise based on the advise from other MK1 racers.  They are saying we are not using the chassis properly and getting the best out of the car.  We have gone for harder springs based on the balance of other peoples advice.  They are saying HARD HARD HARD on the back to transfer the control to the front.  This is what we have done although not as hard as some have said.  Until we test at Brands on the 18th we are in the lap of the gods now!

Offline Splinter

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2005, 11:37 »
Yeah, too hard will make ot undriveable on the tighter tracks, but better on the faster tracks.

Them Clio Cup racers should be able to give good advice! They used to have harder spirngs, and seem to have gone softer in recent years.

Good luck at Brands.
" Do it today, Don't wait until tomorrow "