Author Topic: GTI TCR vs R  (Read 13183 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: GTI TCR vs R
« Reply #40 on: 08 November 2019, 11:08 »

Much is not fact its subjectivity but still a good watch :)

I think the difference between the cars comes down to one simple thing - traction and the weight penalty of having that traction. Beyond that is subjectivity, personal taste and nuance based on use.

The TCR is incredibly quiet to me in the post WLTP world so when reviews go on about the exhaust sound, I'm slightly bemused. Probably harder to pick up the difference on a 4-cylinder Golf which is more sociable to start and my comparison is a CSS which is probably the least social Golf from factory in this respect but still pretty quiet.

A friend of mine picked up his 718 GT4 and sent me several videos that were properly recorded with an external directional mike and dead cat. It sounds like it has been neutered compared to the 3.8 in the previous generation and he works in sound engineering so I trust that he has faithfully reproduced the sound. It's like listening to a detailed piece of music through really tinny speakers, it sounds like it can't reproduce the full spectrum of sound.

Maybe in 20 years time we'll be on here swapping sound files for our actuators?  :laugh:

Considerable restraint in not plugging the car for sale - I thought that too.  :smiley:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 08 November 2019, 11:15 »

I think the difference between the cars comes down to one simple thing - traction and the weight penalty of having that traction. Beyond that is subjectivity, personal taste and nuance based on use.

The TCR is incredibly quiet to me in the post WLTP world so when reviews go on about the exhaust sound, I'm slightly bemused. Probably harder to pick up the difference on a 4-cylinder Golf which is more sociable to start and my comparison is a CSS which is probably the least social Golf from factory in this respect but still pretty quiet.

A friend of mine picked up his 718 GT4 and sent me several videos that were properly recorded with an external directional mike and dead cat. It sounds like it has been neutered compared to the 3.8 in the previous generation and he works in sound engineering so I trust that he has faithfully reproduced the sound. It's like listening to a detailed piece of music through really tinny speakers, it sounds like it can't reproduce the full spectrum of sound.

Maybe in 20 years time we'll be on here swapping sound files for our actuators?  :laugh:

Considerable restraint in not plugging the car for sale - I thought that too.  :smiley:

Yes, the Golf in all its variants would never be classed as loud. Perhaps because it's a Golf.

Spent some time as a passenger in the 981 GT4 but yet to hear a new GT4. I don't think existing owners should be worried about swapping, most reviews suggest it has been muted. Which is a shame but it's the way we are heading. A mate tried an M2 Comp some time ago and said that very muted, despite the sales guy telling him it's very loud. Loud, yes compared to a 218i.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 08 November 2019, 20:17 »
Another great video from Andrew Chapple/Volkswizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAJ-EiHHzU
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 08 November 2019, 22:44 »
Another great video from Andrew Chapple/Volkswizard

I think Hertsman posted that about 10 minutes after it went live on the Internet. I turned up and was going to post the same link and was like 'damn, too slow!'  :grin:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 08 November 2019, 23:28 »

Yes, the Golf in all its variants would never be classed as loud. Perhaps because it's a Golf.

Spent some time as a passenger in the 981 GT4 but yet to hear a new GT4. I don't think existing owners should be worried about swapping, most reviews suggest it has been muted. Which is a shame but it's the way we are heading. A mate tried an M2 Comp some time ago and said that very muted, despite the sales guy telling him it's very loud. Loud, yes compared to a 218i.

Think you're right. The classless image would be corrupted if they went too far although I think it's the most off the leash the engineers have ever been allowed on the CS/CSS. Might be the last hurrah for ICE engineers.

I had an allocation for the 718 GT4 which I moved to Spyder when they were unveiled but after the reviews and comments on engine sound, I was unconvinced. Dealer rang me a month ago to get spec lock down and deposits and I cancelled. He asked if I was sure and I said that I was. He commented that a couple of other customers like me had said similar things about the engine sound. He then tried to sell me a GT3 Touring at silly overs. Only car I am tempted by but not by the price.

Neighbour up the road, his son has an M2 Comp. Truly awful colour choice (looks like he has wrapped it) but he got it late summer so assume it was pre WLTP. Sounds good although it's probably not the stock exhaust.

Think my days of buying cars are done excepting the ID3 Golf cart if the range is decent.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 09 November 2019, 09:31 »
The direction cars are going is.... going.

Automated travel systems are coming, "driving" is going to be a cute heritage thing like a steam railway or horse riding.

ICE will be gone in 15-20 years for sure, VW have said the Mk8 is the last Golf... so that's 10 years from now at the most.

Enjoy it while you can, but I expect I'll be gone by then anyway.

Yup. Maybe even 10 years for ICE.
Had a go in a mate's Tesla model 3 recently. Neck snapping pace, no fuel costs, virtually no maintenance ( or so he tells me) and no complaints from extinction rebellion.
Very hard to see how ICE can survive against that, other than purely for recreation.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 09 November 2019, 09:37 »

it is subjective, of course- but he's a don- if he says the TCR's a better car, that's good enough for me!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 09 November 2019, 18:21 »

Automated travel systems are coming, "driving" is going to be a cute heritage thing like a steam railway or horse riding.

ICE will be gone in 15-20 years for sure, VW have said the Mk8 is the last Golf... so that's 10 years from now at the most.

Had a go in a mate's Tesla model 3 recently. Neck snapping pace, no fuel costs, virtually no maintenance ( or so he tells me) and no complaints from extinction rebellion.
Very hard to see how ICE can survive against that, other than purely for recreation.
does the magic Tesla run on fresh air or sunlight? No fuel costs!?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 09 November 2019, 18:43 »

I’d like to know where I can get some of that free electricity :grin:.

There’s also a chance that the electricity used to recharge the Tesla’s batteries has been generated by a fossil fuelled powered power station.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 09 November 2019, 18:49 »

Depends whether you define electricity as fuel. It’s not free, but a hell of a lot cheaper than shell v power.