Author Topic: GTI TCR vs R  (Read 13176 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: GTI TCR vs R
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2019, 17:32 »
Good to hear you are happy with the TCR as I expected at this time of the year you might be missing that AWD traction.

The TCR is on my list of potentials but not sure it's different enough as had a 7.5 GTI for nearly a year prior to my current one.

And I fancy scratching the 'R' itch... But there are also other things on my radar.

Not missed the AWD at all yet, though mainly think to fact still under the 1000 miles and not really booted it when wet, so sure that day will come when the AWD traction will have been appreciated., just not yet.

Outside of that the GTI is rock solid as imagine you and most GTI owners will testify,

If I was driving a GTI now I would 100% be going for an R, or maybe one of the other AWD in the 300 BHP if fancied a real change as my enthusiasm is coming from the GTI being very new to me, and its satisfied a heritage itch also, where as pretty sure you would get the same enthusiasm moving to an R - The TCR with all the 7.5 lifts is giving me differentiation between cars, and another flavour of great so on my needs its hit the sweet spot - where as you already in a 7.5 you might appreciate the R more as change from the GTI
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 31 October 2019, 22:12 »
Good to hear you are happy with the TCR as I expected at this time of the year you might be missing that AWD traction.

The TCR is on my list of potentials but not sure it's different enough as had a 7.5 GTI for nearly a year prior to my current one.

And I fancy scratching the 'R' itch... But there are also other things on my radar.

Not missed the AWD at all yet, though mainly think to fact still under the 1000 miles and not really booted it when wet, so sure that day will come when the AWD traction will have been appreciated., just not yet.

Outside of that the GTI is rock solid as imagine you and most GTI owners will testify,

If I was driving a GTI now I would 100% be going for an R, or maybe one of the other AWD in the 300 BHP if fancied a real change as my enthusiasm is coming from the GTI being very new to me, and its satisfied a heritage itch also, where as pretty sure you would get the same enthusiasm moving to an R - The TCR with all the 7.5 lifts is giving me differentiation between cars, and another flavour of great so on my needs its hit the sweet spot - where as you already in a 7.5 you might appreciate the R more as change from the GTI

That’s what swung me to the R this time. I’d owned a Mk7 pp gti before the S3 so felt more like a new car rather than another gti, even though I absolutely love them.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2019, 08:56 »

That’s what swung me to the R this time. I’d owned a Mk7 pp gti before the S3 so felt more like a new car rather than another gti, even though I absolutely love them.

Any forum would not exist if discussion did not come at a more granular level, as everyone picks at the finite details of the differences

But all these cars, the S3, the R, GTI and even the GTD are great cars in their own right, they just each give you a little something different on that more detailed level of discussion.

My enthusiasm for the TCR is definitely down to scratching the GTI heritage itch and with this run out model being able to retain the pace of the R that grew so used to.

Have about 2.5 years to make my next decision, but think its going to be the most difficult to date of what direction to take given not really liking what see of where cars going
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2019, 09:06 »

Yes, thinking a TCR would feel similar but a bit more than what I have but an R would be quite different. Never driven an R so need to grab a drive in one.

Drove a 993 C4S yesterday, that was an experience. A proper howl above 5k. We had a little blip after and from about 50 mine was gaining on the Porker up to one hundred.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 01 November 2019, 09:17 »
93 C4S is literally the worst performing 993, it has the wider Turbo body and running gear (brakes, suspension) but the engine of the base Carrera.  Nice to look at, not so good to drive! :)

The varioram inlet effect comes in at 4250, it does make a difference when it works correctly.

A Golf R would leave it in most situations, although to mind it does not have the character of the old porker.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 01 November 2019, 09:28 »
93 C4S is literally the worst performing 993, it has the wider Turbo body and running gear (brakes, suspension) but the engine of the base Carrera.  Nice to look at, not so good to drive! :)

The varioram inlet effect comes in at 4250, it does make a difference when it works correctly.

A Golf R would leave it in most situations, although to mind it does not have the character of the old porker.

Some say it's one of the best as it's the last of the 993's! Certainly is a beauty to look at. Felt pretty quick but it's not a get in and thrash sort of a car as it's 22 years old. Brakes needed a real shove compared to the GTI.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 01 November 2019, 09:40 »
Hertsman, totally understand what you mean about the next car. Tbh I’m at the point where I think I’m done with new cars. Really don’t like the direction the industry is going in. I’ll probably dip into the used market next time and maybe buy a classic.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 08 November 2019, 09:40 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAJ-EiHHzU

Much is not fact its subjectivity but still a good watch :)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #38 on: 08 November 2019, 10:01 »
The direction cars are going is.... going.

Automated travel systems are coming, "driving" is going to be a cute heritage thing like a steam railway or horse riding.

ICE will be gone in 15-20 years for sure, VW have said the Mk8 is the last Golf... so that's 10 years from now at the most.

Enjoy it while you can, but I expect I'll be gone by then anyway.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 08 November 2019, 10:11 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAJ-EiHHzU

Much is not fact its subjectivity but still a good watch :)

Very subjective, but most of the points seem pretty valid. Think most are also true for the normal GTI vs an R but guess the TCR is so close to the R price-wise that comparisons are more likely.

Surprised there was no plug for the car at the end considering it's for sale!
NOW - 330e M Sport