Author Topic: Track tyres  (Read 16791 times)

Offline re2

• Here all the time
Re: Track tyres
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2012, 10:56 »
dont forget the Yoko advan 032 either. My friend races and has used these in his race series previously and they were 2 sec faster per lap around silverstone than the 888's where he regularly races. Might be worth a look on ebay for part worns
« Last Edit: 12 September 2012, 10:58 by re2 »

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2012, 07:50 »
I use federal RSR's they are a little bit "noisy" but once up to temp they offer very good grip, I've done 2 trackdays on them and I'm gonna rotate them and I'd say there good for another 2-3 days and only costing £80 each they are good value for money if your on a budget

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2013, 23:57 »
Looking to get some for mine in the next couple of weeks.

Will be mainly for road driving with a couple of track days a year with the hope of eventually taking it to Germany.

What would be everyone's choice be for that.

Budget around £350, 195/50/15.

If r888's really are that much better than everything else, guess I'll have to wait a little while longer to save the extra pennies.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2013, 22:45 »
tarmack rally tyers  :wink:

about the cheepest grippy tyer there is
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2013, 21:02 »
As above do the same as I have pirelli pzero rx7 which In a nut shell is a cut slick can pick em up for like £70 a pair
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2013, 21:54 »
Doesn't look like they come in 195/50/15.

Offline blueandy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2013, 11:59 »
I've used 888s on various cars and if you can put up with the noise they are awesome.

sticky rubber is pound for pound the best mod you can do to your car imho

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2013, 23:13 »
Currently running Yokohama AD08 Advan Neova's on my sprint Clio (due to tyre regulations) and they are surprisingly good road/track tyres. Not tried them in streaming wet conditions yet but they seem fine and grippy on the road in the recent random snow flurries etc, whilst being far superior on track to the Toyo Proxies I was running on my previous golf sprint car. Bearing in mind I cant go for 888's or RSR's due to regulations, I dont think I am missing out on a massive amount of outright grip and they certainly fit into your budget.
FWIW I actually got them cheaper, fitted, from the National tyres website. All of the usual suspects for buying tyres (Camskill etc) may look cheaper, but once you factor in fitting they all looked more expensive.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2013, 23:26 »
Currently running Yokohama AD08 Advan Neova's on my sprint Clio (due to tyre regulations) and they are surprisingly good road/track tyres. Not tried them in streaming wet conditions yet but they seem fine and grippy on the road in the recent random snow flurries etc, whilst being far superior on track to the Toyo Proxies I was running on my previous golf sprint car. Bearing in mind I cant go for 888's or RSR's due to regulations, I dont think I am missing out on a massive amount of outright grip and they certainly fit into your budget.
FWIW I actually got them cheaper, fitted, from the National tyres website. All of the usual suspects for buying tyres (Camskill etc) may look cheaper, but once you factor in fitting they all looked more expensive.

Cheers pal, will certainly have a look at these. What are they wearing like, quite reasonably?

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2013, 19:54 »

Sorry for the lack of a reply, I dont come on here very often any more. As for the wear, its a bit hard to say as I dont use the car very often. I have probably only done 500 or so miles since fitting them (although due to the variable weather of the last few months, thats been in pretty much all conditions imagineable bar pouring rain) but until I took them on track there was minimal noticeable wear on them from normal road use. Now they have had a pasting on a sprint, the edges have torn a wee bit, but considering you dont get a chance to warm the tyres up properly in a 70 second sprint, I would expect nothing less...

Cheers pal, will certainly have a look at these. What are they wearing like, quite reasonably?