Author Topic: A new mk VI GTI or S3  (Read 9780 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
Re: A new mk VI GTI or S3
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2009, 21:57 »
..yea, the S3 list price is £27,480...but with discounts they will do it for £25,900....I'd sell the GTI privately.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2009, 22:46 »
Or buy thats 6 months old a few thousand on it and your LAUGHING !

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2009, 18:16 »
Or buy thats 6 months old a few thousand on it and your LAUGHING !

Its funny you should say that, because I was looking at second hand ones a couple of weeks ago - and the cheapest S3 I could find (in the newest shape) was still about £20k for an '07 plate!  If you want one with a 'few' thousand on the clock in an '08 plate or so, you're looking at £23-£24k.  It makes a new one seem more realistic as they were facelifted at the beginning of this year and have a few new bits - and better wheels!  :laugh:
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Jkctr

« Reply #23 on: 12 June 2009, 18:28 »

Offline Garza

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 12 June 2009, 18:46 »
Im test driving the mk6 GTi and Audi S3 next saturday! I'll let you know which I prefer  :grin: very much looking forward to it!

mk2 Golf GTi 8v '91 (201,004 miles) & mk5 Golf GT TDI 140

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 13 June 2009, 13:24 »
http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1013594.htm

:wink:

Errr... that ones sold!  Try and find me another  :wink:
You're still looking at 19k ish for any of them -  with a decent 2008 one being about 24k.  Seem to hold their second hand value pretty well by the look of it!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

TeddyKGB

« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2009, 12:02 »
What about this one:

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1010353.htm

In a "rare" and "desirable" colour...

Hmmm.... :sick:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2009, 12:19 »
S3....period! :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2009, 13:20 »
For speed there is no contest, the S3 wins hands down. - but where can you drive at 155mph excluding motorways ? And if you drive at 155mph on a motorway your likely to get your balls felt by the fuzz. Ok, the S3 is limited in its 155mph, but the mk6 GTI aint no slouch either and at a conservative 149mph top speed, its hardly that much slower. S3 is up with an STi in standing start speed but suffers turbo lag I hear too. The GTI is as smooth as the fonz.

S3 is much more thirstier, more expensive to insure, and for each standard car its almost £6k more to buy, running costs are higher and supposedly is very uninspiring to drive.

The GTI all the way, its a no brainer. Although I'm gonna test drive the S3 next weekend just for fun.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Tailpipe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 15 June 2009, 13:30 »
I share your dilemma. But for me, the Golf is the clear winner at this time.

Audi A3 is due to replaced for model year 2011. Next version will be built on new platform to be used across Golf, SEAT and Skoda ranges in addition to Audi models. Audi is focusing on developing a much lighter body shell that incorporate 30% weight savings. Both Autocar and Auto Express have shown renderings of what the car will look like. It looks fantastic. Audi is also apparently developing an RS3 which will get TT-RS's 5-cylinder engine and a new 7-speed DSG box. This will be the car that eats the Ford Focus RS for breakfast.

I imagine that RS3 won't arrive before 2012, but the S3 may be in showrooms by end of 2011. I certainly wouldn't by a current S3, because soon it will be obsolete and out of production - so you'll suffer greater depreciation when new model arrives - and, secondly, the new GTI-R will soon be out and is likely to be quicker than S3. If you can wait, you won't be disappointed by the next gen S3. But the Mark 6 Golf GTI is here now and the Golf R / GTI-R will be here around Christmas.  
Golf R - almost on order - 5-door, DSG, Rising Blue, leather, 19" alloys, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Sunroof, Parking camera and sensors, luxury pack and cruise control.