Author Topic: A new mk VI GTI or S3  (Read 9802 times)

Offline p3eps

• I live here
Re: A new mk IV GTI or S3
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2009, 19:15 »
There is a new A3 model due next year - which probably means like VW and the Golf - it will be another 9+ months until they bring out their sports model.  My Audi dealer told me the first part of that!

I test drove the S3 a few weeks ago, and was dead keen on getting one.  To be honest, I don't think its that nice a looking car, but the power and 4wd swayed me.  I'm still waiting for my written off ED30 to get sorted, so I'm still holding off just now... until I saw the Scirocco R in the magazines - and immediately put a deposit down on one!!
I also drove a TTS - which was more fun that the S3, and the Golf GTI mk6 which was also decent enough.

If you read the mk6 opinions, you'll see that most people agree that there isn't much between the mk5 v mk6... or certainly enough to upgrade just now.
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Jkctr

« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2009, 19:19 »
The OP

''A new mk IV GTI or S3''

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2009, 19:23 »
The OP

''A new mk IV GTI or S3''

From the context, Its pretty clear he means a mk6  :wink:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Jkctr

« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2009, 19:28 »
Ah, i came in through the most recent thread. Didnt see it was in the mk6 section!

So a MKVI GTI vs S3. The S3 is boring and souless, the GTI is more fun and cheaper. Job done  :grin:

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2009, 02:36 »
Order books to be open in Jan for Spring deliverys of new S3 according to an un-named dealer in yorkshire..... nomore hardfacts

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2009, 07:53 »

I used to own the current S3 and have driven the MK6.

Its a tough call. If you look at it from a price perspective, when you add any spec to the GTI it is very close price wise to the S3 and you can get a decent discount on the S3.

In truth they are both a bit souless IMHO. Performance wise the S3 is a league ahead and on our wet roads it can put down the power all the time. Audi also have their sh!t together when it comes to things such as bluetooth. Against the S3 is the fact that its shape is old and it misses the nice flared wheel arches of the first S3.

I think the GTI looks nicer and the interior is a little fresher.

The car that will be the perfect mix will be the R20. Hopefully VW will give it some soul.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 11 June 2009, 14:23 »
sorry...typo...indeed I meant mk VI ..doh!  :embarassed:

Anyway.....£24,900 for a GTI with Leather and 18inch wheels vs £25,900 for a standard S3 with metallic paint..

Need to find out about this new one in Spring 2010 ...web seems to know nothing about it yet that I've found ...odd! Asked the AudI dealer, but of course they say it's not next year....but then they would I guess.

I love my mk V, but it's time to change it..

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: A new mk VI GTI or S3
« Reply #17 on: 11 June 2009, 16:40 »
Just talked with my misses, she wants to test drive the S3, so were gonna book up a quick test drive to see what she thinks of it.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline carl1

• I live here
Re: A new mk VI GTI or S3
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2009, 17:11 »

Anyway.....£24,900 for a GTI with Leather and 18inch wheels vs £25,900 for a standard S3 with metallic paint..

Need to find out about this new one in Spring 2010 ...web seems to know nothing about it yet that I've found ...odd! Asked the AudI dealer, but of course they say it's not next year....but then they would I guess.

i thought the s3 started at £27480
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 11 June 2009, 18:44 »

adw555, I am in a similar position to you.  I love my 06 GTI but now having it for 3 years I want something new.  I have booked a test drive in a S3 at the weekend.  I have already taken out the new GTI and a scirocco but still cannot decide what I want. 

I think I am gonna love the power and AWD in the S3 but I know that I wont be impressed with the interior, even more so considering I have seen the new GTI.

The only issues I have with the GTI is that its very much like what I have already got. I like my car but I think I might be bored after having a new GTI for another 3 years
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"